Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Wireless internet drops occasionally?




deerpoob


So this christmas I got myself a brand new laptop, works great, windows 7, completly happy with it, problem is our older router kept dropping the internet randomly, a few weeks later we upgraded the internet to the best version the company were with (Rogers, its Canadian) offered, which required us to get a new modem, which it turns out, also functions as a router, I was overjoyed, thinking the router would be more consistant, which unfortunatly it has not been.

these are the things that connect to the router:
playstation 3 (wired)
2 other laptops (both wired in a horrible attempt by my dad to alliveate the problem)
as well as my ipod touch, and laptop, which are the only two things that use the wireless part of the router/modem and althought most of the time the wireless has to go through a floor or 2, the problem still exists even if I sit about 5 feet away.

the model of the router/modem is SMC8013WG-CCR
the laptop is acer aspire 7535


the problem isnt that big, with the old router the connection would drop for 5-10 minutes one ever 2-3 hours or so, now it drops every 2-3 hours but I can actually just reconnect, as if it never actually dropped, its quite strange, but the problem also exists on my ipod, which leads me to belive the problem is with the wireless settings, and not the laptop, as the other laptops (which are wired in) work all the time.
well the router is away from microwaves wireless phones and the like, and even when I sit about 5 feet away it still drops, how would I go about working around the interference? there is simply no place I can be that is closer.
how would I got about editing the MTU?



Answer
Consider other sources of interference... such as microwaves close by or 2.4 GHz cordless phones, bluetooth, or baby monitors.

What noise sources affect wireless signals?




Dave


I've been asked to do a thing for college I know that magnetism and stuff affects signals in wires but what is capable of distorting and causing noise in wireless computer signals?


Answer
WiFi operates in the 2.4 GHz band. This band has a *lot* of consumer electronics in it: Cordless phones. Baby monitors. Microwave ovens. Bluetooth. Wireless security systems often use the 2.4 GHz band.

It's a very cluttered space.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Wireless internet drops occasionally?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment