Monday, January 7, 2013

10 points to the best answer-I need to set up a webcam.Give me the best website for complete instructions.?

Q. Heres the kicker.I have a site for the camera thats secure,has electricity,but no phone or cable lines.My budget is maybe $5,000.00.thats plenty for soft-hardware,but not enough to run
cable or phone to this site.Is there a way around this?Thanx everyone!

A. How to install a wireless webcam
webcams are normally used for communication, and are so called because you access and manage them through your browser. That means you can log on and see people from virtually anywhere in the world. Some webcams even have motion detectors.

I wanted to use mine to watch my baby son while I work on my laptop in another room. I also wanted to be able to see him while I'm away on business, and in the future I might want to use the camera for home security.

I chose a D-Link DCS 2100* webcam. It comes with software that lets you archive video to your hard drive, as well as manage and monitor as many as 16 cameras. The camera connects either through an Ethernet cable or wirelessly. Since I have a wireless network, there's no need to add extra wiring to the house. But that doesn't mean I can just put it anywhere. The camera does need a power supply.

My desktop system is a PC I built late last year with an Intel® Pentium® D processor running Microsoft Windows XP*. I also have a laptop equipped with Intel® Centrino® Duo mobile technology. My husband has an HP notebook with an Intel® Pentium® III processor. Our wireless network runs on a Linksys* router.

Step by step
I began by following the webcam's installation instructions. The instructions told me to connect the wireless antenna and turn on the camera. At that point, my router was supposed to be able to see the camera. But it wasn't quite that easy.
Next, I tried connecting the camera directly to my router using an Ethernet cable. I reset the camera by inserting a paper clip into the reset hole on the back of the camera. This pushed down the button long enough for the LED lights on the front of the camera to recycle twice and a blinking green LED to come on. I then clicked the IP installer in the software and got a connection to the camera.
In the IP installer window, I saw the Media Access Control address of the camera. I clicked on it and I was redirected to my camera's IP address where I saw an image of the camera. Now I had to configure the camera.
I clicked on the configuration tab to the left of the video screen. The Advanced Configuration screen came up so I could configure the camera for my wireless LAN. I kept the top items set to the defaults and concentrated on the lower half, starting with the WLAN configuration.
I set my service set identifier (SSID) to the same as my router.
I left the wireless mode set to 'infrastructure.' The channel default was 6, the same as the rest of my components.
Now came the tricky part. Because I wasn't using a D-Link router, I apparently had to set my transmission (TX) rate to 11Mbps. This wasn't clear to me or explained in the instructions. I had to call D-Link Tech Support to sort it out.
I left the Preamble set to "Long," since that was the default.
I ticked the box for "Data Encryption."
I left the Authentication mode on "Auto."
I set the key length to 128 bits.
I kept the "Key Format" at "Hex."
I entered my 26-character key that I used for my router and the rest of my wireless network.
I clicked "Apply" and the camera restarted. When the solid green LED came on, I knew I was ready.
I unplugged the camera from my router, unplugged the camera from the power outlet long enough for it to power down, and then plugged it back into the outlet.
It worked. The camera was able to send video directly to Internet Explorer. If the process had gone smoothly, it would have taken me 15 to 30 minutes, but as always, your experience might vary depending on your equipment and other factors.
Now that the camera was connected, I set it up to email me when it detected motion. It took a little while to get the settings to work correctly. You need to enter your Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) information in the email tab in the camera's setup software. Then you set the motion detection settings by specifying how much motion has to happen before the camera is triggered to send you an email. It's easy to do, but you may need to adjust some settings to get the sensitivity you want.

To see if it worked, I mounted the camera by the front door to see if it would detect someone at the front door. It did. An email arrived as my brother rang the door bell. Clicking on the video link, a real-time video of him at the door came on my screen.

Finally, I put the camera in my son's room and pointed it at his bed. I went back to the living room where my laptop was and connected to the camera through my browser - and he came into view. The camera has audio capabilities, so not only can I see him, I can also hear any sounds he makes.

Online resources
Check out PC CCTV home security at icatcher*
AND you can Install motion detecting security with webcam Watchdog


I have internal IP cameras on my lan with static IP's how can I make them viewable on the web?
Q. The camera's are Vidi Observer XT's Ethernet cameras. They do not have a built in web server. Any way I can make them visible online with my netgear router wrn2000? They are used to monitor or new born baby, but we would like family that live out of state to be able to peek in to see the baby when they feel like it? Is this possible? Thank you!
They are on port 80, and are viewed through a browser. I dont want to use remote desktop to let others view them. I know what I want just currently I cant put the words together. Basically need to be able to use some dns forwarder and be able to give people a link that will connect them to my ip and then allow them to view the cameras. That doesnt make sense... >.<

A. You will need to set up port forwarding on your router. Even though the cameras might not have a built in web server, there has to be some method to connect to them. Find the ports that the software used to monitor them uses and you can forwardd those.

Alternately, leave your home computer running all the time, enable Remote Desktop Connection, set up port forwarding for RDC from your desktop to your router, then you can connect to your home computer and use all the applications on it from anywhere in the world. If you use this method be sure that you have very strong passwords and security set up on your home computer otherwise anyone can get in.


When I ping my own IP using the cmd, I get some spikes, is it my computer or the what?
Q. My Time Warner Road Runner internet has been having lag spikes lately, noticeable on net games, and I'm wondering what's wrong.

I used cmd.exe on Windows Vista and typed in

"ping (my IP address) -t"

and it showed my time as 1ms most of the time, but every minute or so there's a massive spike that goes up to between 34ms and 133ms for 1 to 3 "replies".

I've pinged other IPs, like those from websites, but I haven't had significant spikes in my ping.

I am connected wirelessly.
I am as close as possible to the router.
I have tried different wireless adapters.
I have tried restarting multiple times, including shutting down for several hours.
Also, connecting directly with an ethernet cable isn't an option.


So I'm not sure what to do to stop the lag spikes.
Edit on "I have tried restarting multiple times, including shutting down for several hours."

Should be "I have tried restarting both the cable modem and router multiple times, including shutting down for several hours."

A. Well, what happens if instead of wireless, you use an ethernet connection. I suspect its not Time Warner - could be but not necessarily and until you check with a cable, you do not know either.

Wireless can have interference issues at anytime which will extend ping times as long as the interference lasts. If you find the wired connection is fine (which I bet it will be) you have several options if you still want to use a wireless connection.
1. try different channels on your router. Login and change them, start with channel 1, try it out see how it works. Then channel 11, then 6 then try those between them 2,10,3,9,4,8 etc see if you can find one that works without the issue.
2. Try the system without encryption. (just as a test, you don't want to run it open but as a test run it open to see how it works)
3. Check all drivers for your wireless card to see that you have the latest ones.As well as all systems updates.
4. Start looking for the interfering device (to see if it is in your location or if it is outside - interference can come from, wireless cameras, wireless phones, wireless baby monitors, microwave ovens, wireless alarm systems, wireless speaker systems, anything wireless, even a bad flourescent lamp) Not easy to find sometimes but usually you can run down the device, if it is in your home. Also remember as your neighbors come online more interference is likely!
5. Check to see that the ROUTER has the latest firmware.
6. Check with a different router and brand.
7. once that is all done, if you still lag, use a wire!

Remember for "critical" applications that need speed... wires beat wireless period!





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: 10 points to the best answer-I need to set up a webcam.Give me the best website for complete instructions.?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment