Saturday, December 28, 2013

How would you cope with the fact your baby was going to be hooked up to all these machines???

best baby monitor for triplets
 on The best baby monitors for twins with 2 cameras
best baby monitor for triplets image
Q. My three triplets are going to be premature . Just starring at the babies through the window hooked up to all those wires and machines and tubes just made my heart sink. How would you cope with the fact that one of your babies might die ? I and my husband are having a really hard time dealing with this I need help please help!


Answer
Here is my story:

I had twins - they were born at 37 weeks which is considered full-term for twins. Unfortunately, my daughter had aortic stenosis which is a heart defect where the aortic valve is too narrow for good blood flow. They found the defect on an ultrasound at 18 weeks . . . During the whole pregnancy she was monitored and we knew that there was a chance that they would need to deliver her even earlier than 37 weeks (also risking my other twins life) if her heart issue became worse.

Immediately after birth, I got to see her for a moment before she was triaged and wisked away to Children's Hospital. They performed heart surgery on her the very next day - she was only 5lbs 1 oz. She spent 10 days in the hospital hooked up to breathing tubes, feeding tubes and heart monitors. For the first couple of days she was in a medically induced coma. She didn't look real - more like a doll than a baby.

I was at the hospital across the street with my son, recovering from the c-section while my daughter was at a different hospital. I had to send my son to the nursery and request a wheelchair so that family members could take me across the street to see my daughter. I spent a lot of time alone in my room with my son as my husband and parents were with my daughter - she just seemed to need them more. It was the most difficult time of my life.

In the end - my twins are currently napping in their bouncy chairs at this very moment - they are now 4 months old. My son is just fine and my daughter still has a heart issue (she will always have one) but she is currently fine and she sees a cardiologist regularly to make sure that she continues to do fine or to schedule surgery in the future if it becomes neccessary.

I know that you are probably stressed and I know that it is hard to deal with . . . I wish that I had the magic answer for you . . .

Here is my advice - find doctors that you like, tour the NICU so that you will know where your triplets might be, take really good care of yourself - the longer they are in you . . . the better. Don't dwell on the what ifs and the worst case scenarios . . . women have had triplets and they have been just fine. They might not be hooked up to any machines. I joined a support group for parents of multiples before I had my twins (you can do a google search for multiples support groups in your area)- it helped a lot to know other women that have been through it. After that just take it day by day and build your support system with family and friends.

You and your husband WILL get through this . . . parents don't have a choice. You simply do it, you simply get through it . . . and it will always pull at your heartstrings and bring tears to your eyes when you look back on it. If you are religious, prayer never hurt!

Feel free to email me through my profile - I am sending you loads of positive thoughts!

May i know what causes some women to have high blood pressure during pregnacy and what causes toxins?




ladymonze


Before this pregnacy my sister lost her baby during child birth.The doc said she had toxins and her uric acid was high.Is it safe for her to have another baby am worried please advise. She is 43years old.


Answer
Anyone over the age of 40 is considered a high risk pregnancy first off. High blood pressure during pregnancy is caused by 1 of 3 things...


Chronic hypertension: A woman can have high blood pressure before she gets pregnant. Sometimes a woman has high blood pressure for a long time before she gets pregnant, but she doesn't know it until her first prenatal check-up.

Preeclampsia: This condition can cause serious problems for both the mother and the baby. It only happens in the second half of pregnancy. It causes high blood pressure, protein in the urine, blood changes and other problems. (The only cure for this type of high blood pressure is delivery of the baby)

Transient hypertension: Some women just get high blood pressure near the end of pregnancy. They don't have any other signs of preeclampsia.




As far as Toxins go, I am not sure what you are referring to, but I will take a guess most toxins would be an environmental toxin that the mother was exposed to in the early stages of pregnancy, but pre-eclapsia, can cause a dangerous state for both mother and baby.


Here is some more information I thought you might find helpful

What Are the Effects of High Blood Pressure in Pregnancy?
Although many pregnant women with high blood pressure have healthy babies without serious problems, high blood pressure can be dangerous for both the mother and the fetus. Women with pre-existing, or chronic, high blood pressure are more likely to have certain complications during pregnancy than those with normal blood pressure. However, some women develop high blood pressure while they are pregnant (often called gestational hypertension).

The effects of high blood pressure range from mild to severe. High blood pressure can harm the mother's kidneys and other organs, and it can cause low birth weight and early delivery. In the most serious cases, the mother develops preeclampsia--or "toxemia of pregnancy"--which can threaten the lives of both the mother and the fetus.

What Is Preeclampsia?
Preeclampsia is a condition that typically starts after the 20th week of pregnancy and is related to increased blood pressure and protein in the mother's urine (as a result of kidney problems). Preeclampsia affects the placenta, and it can affect the mother's kidney, liver, and brain. When preeclampsia causes seizures, the condition is known as eclampsia--the second leading cause of maternal death in the U.S. Preeclampsia is also a leading cause of fetal complications, which include low birth weight, premature birth, and stillbirth.

There is no proven way to prevent preeclampsia. Most women who develop signs of preeclampsia, however, are closely monitored to lessen or avoid related problems. The only way to "cure" preeclampsia is to deliver the baby.

How Common Are High Blood Pressure and Preeclampsia in Pregnancy?
High blood pressure problems occur in 6 percent to 8 percent of all pregnancies in the U.S., about 70 percent of which are first-time pregnancies. In 1998, more than 146,320 cases of preeclampsia alone were diagnosed.

Although the proportion of pregnancies with gestational hypertension and eclampsia has remained about the same in the U.S. over the past decade, the rate of preeclampsia has increased by nearly one-third. This increase is due in part to a rise in the numbers of older mothers and of multiple births, where preeclampsia occurs more frequently. For example, in 1998 birth rates among women ages 30 to 44 and the number of births to women ages 45 and older were at the highest levels in 3 decades, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. Furthermore, between 1980 and 1998, rates of twin births increased about 50 percent overall and 1,000 percent among women ages 45 to 49; rates of triplet and other higher-order multiple births jumped more than 400 percent overall, and 1,000 percent among women in their 40s.

(http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/hbp_preg.htm)

Best of Luck,
Kimberly...RRT




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How would you cope with the fact your baby was going to be hooked up to all these machines???
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment