Sunday, September 1, 2013

How can I cool down my baby's room? Really worried about SIDS/cot death?

best baby monitor sids
 on Best Baby Monitor: Thumbs up for Angelcare Monitor | Pepperpot.ca | a ...
best baby monitor sids image



Micaila


It's reading 29C on my baby monitor and I have a fan on full pelt, window open, all windows open upstairs and the door open trying to circulate the air but as yet nothing seems to be working.
She is sleeping just in her nappy but I am worried about going to bed and leaving her in that heat



Answer
Not every house has AC, I'm in the UK and it's rare for homes to be fitted with AC.

It's baking here in England at the minute and my son's room is the same - reading 26C on the baby monitor. He's ten months old.

Usually when it's hot I just strip him down to the bare minimum for sleeping in - tonight he has on just a vest and a nappy. I have his window open and the curtains open a little to let the air get through. Leave her bedroom door open and try open a window on the opposite side of the house to create a draft. For example, my son sleeps in the back bedroom and his window is open, we sleep in the front bedroom and our window is open, I have our bedroom door open and his bedroom door open, this lets the air flow through the house and helps to cool it down.

If it's hot tomorrow (which it likely will be) then leave the window in her room open all day if you can. Keep her curtains shut though as this will block out the sunlight and cut the thermal heat down a little. If you can afford it then invest in a black-out blind for her room as they have a thermal lining in them, this keeps the room warm in winter and cool in summer. These are available fairly cheaply, Wilkinsons do them for around £12 in a variety of colours.

Take some water to bed with you in a baby bottle so you can offer her a cool drink. The temperature will steadily drop overnight and her body temperature will cool slightly too if she is a deep sleep. I promise you she will be fine as she isn't wrapped up in any blankets and her head isn't covered so her body will be able to shed heat via the exposed areas of skin (particularly her head and her feet). If you are very concerned then move her into a cooler room for the night - if your bedroom or any other room is cooler than her room then put her in there.

At what age did you stop using the tick alarm on your angel care baby monitor?




<3 my baby


I have been using the angel care monitor with the tick alarm. Its a sensor to monitor the baby's breathing. My baby is now 6 months old and is starting to move all around her crib and when she gets in a corner the monitor doesn't pick up her movement and the alarm goes off. I am considering if i want to stop using it but I am scared of SIDS...


Answer
Most SIDS cases occur before the baby is 4 months old, after 6 months they're "out of the woods", then after 12 months they're okay. It's up to you, 6 months seems like the reasonable time to stop using it, but I can totally understand your concern - you're a mum and you worry like every other one of us.

Whenever you choose to stop using it, you'll wake up every 2 hours and listen to hear them breathing - like me! Lol.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How can I cool down my baby's room? Really worried about SIDS/cot death?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment