Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Can the baby monitors prevent SIDS(sudden infant death syndrome)?




chiromichi


I have learned that most mothers in U.S. use baby monitors so that they can let their baby sleep alone in their own room from one day after they were born. I am Japanese and I never hear about baby monitors in Japan because Japanese mothers do not let them sleep alone until 4 or five because of their limited rooms. Japanese houses are so small because this country is small...
Even though parents sleep in the same room with their baby, SIDS still happens as they can't watch him for twenty four hours, of course. But still, here people have small houses and traditionally, they sleep with their baby so I wondered how American parents felt like letting their baby sleep in another room with monitors. To me, it sounds like so "independent" and "dry" relationship with the baby. Japanese parents and child have more "dependent" relationship because of the housing issue and old thinking of how childcare should be like. I just wanted to know how parents avoid SIDS with just a piece of device! Any answers welcome.
Japanese way of thinking, I feel safer to put the baby right next to me. I went to Canada and there, the kids in my host family were so independent-minded so I think sleeping alone is a great way as it is the general way of childrearing in western world. I had slept in my parents room until I was 14, and it was "real" hard to sleep alone^^; so I feel sleeping alone at their first day is like how very young! I agree with the idea though because every kid wants to see their parents loving each other without their interference. I interfered their relationship a bit as I kept thinking "dad is mine and not mom's" all the time in my childhood. My mother must have felt lonely. I was definitely daddy's girl but it wasn't good for me as I was an only child and became selfish and thought my mom like a servent at times. She in fact, was like an older sister, servent, and a mother in my mind but anyway this kind of child is none in Japan though.
I was a rare child thinking like this in Japan but as many things always follow the American ways, this won't do, because Japan can't be any larger than now(^^). But independent-mind is good especially when they grow up.



Answer
No, they just allow you to hear when the baby is screaming and needs to be fed. Also, a video baby monitor may be useful in making sure the baby is sleeping in the right position to prevent SIDS (on the back.)

What is proven to help prevent SIDS:
1. a "sleep sack", or wearable blanket that will not suffocate child
2. no pillow or anything else in crib
3. a fan in the room, circulating air
4. non smoking house
5. cooler rather than warmer temperature in baby's room
6. baby placed directly next to parents' bed in its own "co-sleeper" bed
7. sleeping on the back in a "sleep positioner" until 6 months
(premature babies are also at risk for SIDS)

SIDS is definitely a concern, but so is feeding. If the house is very small, you will hear the baby and will not need a baby monitor.

Monitors and SIDS?




TruthSeeke


I have the bebesounds angel care monitor which sets off a beep if the baby hasn't moved for 10 seconds, and an alarm at 20. The 10 second beep has gone off twice since my baby has been home (she's 2 weeks old tomorrow), but when I went to her bassinet, she was fine. I'm wondering if this is a problem or if they're just false alarms? I'm also wondering, if the baby does stop moving for 20 seconds, are they able to be helped through rescue breathing and/or CPR? I'm imagining there has to be something that can be done or the alarms wouldn't exist. Thanks for your advice!


Answer
I am a nurse at a childrens hospital. i have heard alot of people say that this bebesounds monitor is crap and can go off falsely..I would not worry. while your newborn was in the nursery at the hospital they are monitored for any signs of apnea or breathing problems..and if this is suspected you are usually sent home with a hospital grade monitor. if your baby was not less than 36 weeks gestation and seems to be healthy, her risk of sids or apnea is low. while there is no explanation or cause for sids yet, there are new tests out saying sids is a malformation in the brainstem that can be detected. As for that 10 second beep going off...babies less than 3 mos old often get comfortable and are not moving or have very slight pauses in their breathing..all their systems are immature. it is nothing to worry about. Also...as far as the 20 second alarm..While it is ALWAYS an emergency if a baby truly stops breathing..many premature babies "forget to breathe" often...especially when they are eating..and just some gentle stimulation..tapping their feet or picking them up or rubbing their backs starts the breathing reflex back up. remember that..and if that doesent work..do rescue breathing and call 9-1-1..babies are much stronger than we think and can usually come through a respiratory crisis quite quickly!! hang in there..You're a great mom! and always put the baby on her back to sleep no matter what!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Can the baby monitors prevent SIDS(sudden infant death syndrome)?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment