Monday, April 29, 2013

What are some signs for our Lab going into labor?

Q. How should we prepare? We know it could be this week or next week. The vet checked her, but couldn't be more specific. I am worried about leaving her home with my kids 12 and 14, while I work. I can get home in about 20 minutes, but I would like to let them know what signs to watch for. Thank you.

A. Please speak vet, and arrange for them to have coverage for you to call when the time comes - you don't want to find out they're closed when you need help the most.

Dog gestation period is around 59-63 days or thereabouts - deliveries on eitehr side of that can mean problems.

Feed her regular food in the same amount up until around two weeks before she should be due; then, transition her to puppy food, and give her a full big bowl of it to pick at. She'll need the calories and the extra vitamins, and will not have very much room to store it, so she'll need to snack. She will also need a big bowl of clean water.

This is the time to set up her nursery, and put her in it to get used to the idea - she will be a mom, not a pet, and needs to be treated as such - not a lot of extra attention, and she wil;l want a lot of newspapers to rip up and nest with the week or at least the few days before she delivers. You'll want ALL of the recycling piles you can find, just newpapers, and a couple of recycle bags to fill - you may take half of what she has ripped up, no more - that's her 'stuff'.

The week before, you also need to take her temperature and watch for it to dip about a degree, and then go back up. the dip occurs around 24 hours before delivery. Most dogs deliver at night, starting in early evening - and the party goes all night...but it could be anytime.

By the way, it's not a good sign if your vet didn't tell you to do this- you might want to ask around and see if there is another vet who is up on broodbitches and whelping puppies. Not all of them see anyone before the puppies come for their first shots - it's just not part of their practice.

email me if you need more, and do make plans for the puppies starting now - if they are of a breed, and you do not have proper homes for them, contact a breed rescue for a courtesy listing after they are born for help placing them.

I would get a baby monitor, and tell the kids that whatever happens, leave her alone if she sounds like she is making grunting noises - stay OUT of the room, and she should always be in there alone, with NO other animals. Just have them call you, and she will be fine. No yelling, banging around, or other loud or abrupt noises.

Most problems occur when they are already into labor a bit unless they have been straining for too long, and if they call you so you can just get home, most likely you'll be there to monitor the really important parts.

For some really good classic info on the 'stuff' you need, go to:

SolaGratiaKennels (Dot) Googlepages (dot) com

Then click on resources and "Have a pregnant dog and don't know what to do"


Has anyone used a video baby monitor?
Q. How do they work?
What are the pros and cons?
I am thinking about buying one that you can have two monitors and see two rooms at once and was wondering how many people prefer it.

A. Congrats on baby #2!

I couldn't live with out my video monitor!! I have the Summer Infant Day & Night Handheld Color Video Monitor. The picture is so clear both at night and during the day. I love being able to check on my baby with out waking her. I don't even have to get out of bed unless she really needs me! I think if I only had the audio, I would have been getting up a lot more often to investigate every sound, especially during the first few months. The handheld part has a button on top so you can turn off the video screen if the light bothers you at night. Then if you hear something you feel you need to check on, simply click the button and the video comes back on. I read the reviews for this product. Many people say they could not get a signal. I never had a problem. I also read that they can interfere with wi-fi. My husband is a web developer... he never would have allowed wi-fi interference!

I highly recommend this monitor to all my friends. The only con I can think of is that I have had to change the channel due to static. Seriously, it's a flick of a button and I've had to do it maybe 3 times in 7 months. No biggie! I know you can get an extra camera for this monitor, but I don't need one yet. Here is what one person commented: "We bought a second camera to go with the monitor we already had. I love being able to switch back and forth between my two kids' rooms. Only issue is if the monitor is too close to one camera, you can have interference when trying to check on the other one."

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265802

Hope this helps.


Does anyone know of a cordless child monitor that keeps up with 4 children?
Q. I need something that I carry so I can hear them at all times. We have a few "friends" that I need to keep a close eye (or ear) on! I guess I'm looking for a base for me. One that I can push a button to talk to all four kids. And four recievers that are always on. If their's are on at all times, they won't have to figure out how to communicate with me; I'll always hear them anyway. Thanks!

A. Ignore the first two posters...

I, am 19 and have 3 older sisters... You need to monitor you're children and a cell isn't going to do it.

I don't know of any monitors that can monitor 4 different channels at once... Fischer Price has many cordless monitors that can monitor 2 at a time, you can check out their website for that, or even go to your local gadgets store and ask there.

I think you are looking for 2 way radios though so that you can talk back. I have no help there other than there are some baby monitors with a talk back botton on the baby's end, that might help. Babys R'us usually can help you with that.

britany





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What are some signs for our Lab going into labor?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment