Wednesday, August 14, 2013

How do you get back to horses after having kids?

best baby monitor for large home
 on Home > Prima Infanzia > Sicurezza > Baby Monitor / Interfono > Top ...
best baby monitor for large home image



horsin1787


I'm a stay at home momma to two wonder kids, but I really miss riding. Just wondering how other horsey moms do it.


Answer
It is not easy to juggle ;-) I have 4 girls, they are 7yo twins, 5yo and 3yo.

I found it particularly hard to get back into riding after my twins. I was fine for the initial 3 months and bought a new dressage horse and was even back having lessons.

Unfortunately one had a brain haemorrhage and I was not able to ride for virtually 2 years. We live on our own large property and my horses are at home with me. However I have no family support near by (we are in a rural area) or anyone that can watch my children for me to ride.

Once I had made my decision to get back in the saddle on a regular basis, I needed to find a way to make it work without inconveniencing my husband too much as he is busy on the farm.

I took one of the paddocks right beside my house and turned it into an arena. This way I was close enough to the house that the baby monitor worked. I have one with a LCD screen and sound, so I never missed anything and could literally get off the horse and into the house in the time it would take someone to get up the stairs. A 2 hour nap was plenty of time to ride.

I built a child proof pool fence play area between my house and arena. I could watch them play while I was riding and they could sit there if they wished and watch me riding. A great way to desensitize a horse to trampolines and other child noises ;-)

As the girls got older it certainly got easier when they were going to school. Although I still have one at home during the day, one child is easier for hubby to take in the tractor or for me to arrange to ride on days he is doing work he can have a toddler with him in safety.

I'm counting down to next year because she will be in preschool and I will be able to have regular set lesson days (unless kids are sick).

~ My main way of being out with the horses with only one child (way too hard with twins) is to get the 3yo involved also. If I'm leading horses I throw her on top of the quietest one (with a helmet), she comes with me to rug and unrug twice a day and when my older girls are riding I put her on the Shetland so she is apart of the action also.

You have not said how old your children are? If they are older then get some lessons for them also, it is lovely to ride with your children. If they are younger and you don't have someone to mind them, then leave them in the pram at the gate. I spent many hours at the gate of the dressage arena while my mum was riding.

My mum rode with all 3 of us kids and never missed a beat in competition (eventing). Dad was a truck driver so he did not mind us much. She either had us in the pram at the gate or on the front of the saddle with quieter horses. We were all 5 years apart, so she got one child off to school and then had the next one arrive ;-)

If your riding at a lesson school, I would seriously ask the people if they had someone available to watch your children while you had a 30 minute lesson. You pay the staff member for their time, it should only be their hourly wage and would not be much. Any smart business person would do this on a fortnightly or monthly basis until your kids are at school. They get business and have not lost money if you have paid the staff member. Worth a shot!

If you don't have support and are riding at a place that wont allow you to have the child on site. Don't forget about community based programs for child care. There are a few around that will offer parents respite care for people with multiple children, children with disabilities or single parents. I don't know if any of those fit your situation, but it is worth looking what is available in your area.

Last but not least, ask hubby for some "me" time. I'm happier when I'm physically active and riding. It keeps me strong physically and mentally. The benefits run right through the family home when your feeling good about yourself and fulfilled.

Good luck ;-)

Is it really necessary to go to the hospital to get a baby delivered?




Nathan


It's so expensive and babies were delivered at the home for thousands of years. It's really just the past 70 years (if that ) when pregnant woman rushed to the hospital when their water broke. Can't I just get a book or watch some youtube videos and save the money for a vacation or something?
I'm not broke. I have a good job and drive a 2013 Armada. I don't like waste money.



Answer
My daughter is the most important person in my life. I would do anything for her well being and would spend all my money on her without questions asked. And I would never do home birth in my life if I was to have more children and I gave birth to my daughter as well in a large hospital. When my GP asked me about where I wanted to give birth I told him I wanted to do it in the best equipped hospital possible with emergency unit for newborns, just in case. And the reason for this was that not all births are easy. Sometimes something goes wrong and if the birth wasn't done in the hospital it could be dangerous for the baby or the mum. In developing countries, where women give birth at home 1 in 12 women die in childbirth, that is just far too many. So I consider myself lucky that I can go to the hospital and do it with the best professionals helping me all the way through and monitoring my baby all the way as well. Who would you spend your money on if not on the ones you love. Spending money on the safety of your wife and baby is not wasting money. It is money spent well.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How do you get back to horses after having kids?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment