Thursday, June 5, 2014

Yet another question abt. homemade baby food?




Malia


I was wondering....if I made peas for my daughter (she likes the jar kind) and I didn't use fresh peas but frozen, instead of cooking them, can I just take a good amount out and put into a clean bowl with a lid over night and let them defrost and puree them in my Magic Bullet? Or do I HAVE to cook them? I would think not if they were completely defrosted. And I could always nuke it in the microwave too. What about frozen greenbeans? Or should I stay away from those because of the nitrates? My baby girl is 5 months old yesterday. I just want to do what's right


Answer
It's best to steam veggies for baby food. Always cook them. Veggies are frozen uncooked which is why you can refreeze them once you have made baby food out of them. "Nuking" anything in the microwave destroys any nutritional value so I wouldn't suggest doing that when making baby food. A quick steam retains the most value. Even boiling water will lessen the nutritional content but not to the extent of microwaving. Are you away that you should be introducing a new food each week? This is important because you need to be monitoring her reaction to new foods, in case of anything adverse. Start with yellow veggies (squash, yukon gold potatoes) then to green, then orange. Since she's five months now, I would keep her on the yellow veggies until next month and then move forward with the green and orange.

I'm having a baby list everything I need!!?




Caroline


I already have a cot and baby seat. I know I need a pram/stroller, I want a change table. What else do I need? It's clearly baby number one! I'm not yet sure of the gender


Answer
First of all, congratulations! How exciting! I just has my first baby a few months ago so I'll list some things Ive found incredibly useful based on my experience so far...
Bassinette/crib, waterproof pad, fitted crib
sheet, nightlight, Cloud B Sleep Sheep, receiving blankets, swaddling blankets, burp cloths(Gerber cloth diapers work well for this purpose too), lots of onesies, socks, pants, zip up pajamas(you don't want to be fussing with a ton of buttons in the middle of the night), depending of the weather you may need a couple of hats/beanies/jackets,(don't invest in too many shirts without snaps in the crotch because you'll constantly be pulling them back down), bibs, 6-12 bottles if you're not BF (Philps Avent wide neck bottles are great!), bottle brush, pacifiers, washable changing pads (to save money I never bought a changing table, I use the bed or couch with these pads or I bought a
memory foam bath mat at costco that you can set down on the ground and it works great too) buy diapers and wipes in value pack sizes, wipes warmer (or just warm them in your hand), Diaper Genie with refills, wait to buy formula in bulk to make sure baby is doing well with a specific brand, Mother's Bliss gripe water, baby Tylenol, Rectal thermometer, medicine syringe, nail clipper, travel cooler with ice packs to store bottles when you go out, diaper bag (keep an extra set of clothes in here), baby sunscreen, baby benadryl, A&D ointment (no powder because it can cause problems if baby inhales it) baby tub for sink, hooded towels, shampoo, soap, lotion, hair brush, baby carrier/sling, extra carseat base if you own two cars, fisher price swing (an absolute must have), bouncy seat, playmat, mobile for crib, a couple of coloful toys (they don't need many of these in the first few months), Sassy Go Go Bugs to hang on carseat for those long car rides:-), Boppy breastfeeding pillow, Lansinoh Nipple Ointment, breast pads, breast pump (you can rent one from the hospital), nursing bras/tank top, 4-6 week supply of feminine pads, sitz bath for yourself to relieve discomfort after vaginal delivery, bottles of hand sanitizer, baby book for yourself (Baby 411 or Heading Home With Your Newborn are really good reference books), folder/organizer to keep track of baby's health records, baby monitor, bottle of Dreft stain remover spray, and you don't have to but I bought two little baskets to organize my diapers, box of wipes and ointment and the other for washcloths, bathtowel, soap and hairbrush (makes it easier when you're trying to do things with one hand:-)) and don't forget about a digital camera/video recorder! (this is the first must-have item! You'll want to capture every moment) I think I named most everything that truly helped me out. If I think of something else I'll come back and post it:-).
One thing for sure you'll need before baby comes is SLEEP!! Can't stress this enough! You're days of sleeping in will be over, but it's well worth the sacrifice :-) and take a
little overnight vacation with your
significant other for some alone time. Also try to get most of your baby shopping done in advance because you'll probably be too tired late in your third trimester. Best of luck to you!.***:D




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Yet another question abt. homemade baby food?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment