Wednesday, December 12, 2012

How many weeks were you when you had your baby etc?

Q. How many weeks were you when you had your baby? How much did he/she weigh? And what happened? Any difficulities?

I am thirty four weeks + five. And may be induced in a couple weeks time.

A. First came 4 days before due date. I started having contractions but was only 1 cm when I got to the hospital. I walked around the hospital for 2 hours to get to 3 cm and was having back labor and got admitted and got my epidural. I was in labor about 18 hours and pushed for 2 (hard to push due to strong epidural). My daughter was 7 lbs 9.5 oz. I unfortunately tore really bad even though I had episiotomy (I had 2 cuts and still ended up with 4th degree tears). I had a great OB who sewed me up for 45 minutes and I healed wonderfully with no complications. My daughter's temp was a little cool and had a little conehead from pushing for 2 hours so she had to rest under the heatlamp to get her temp up but otherwise was perfect. She's going to be 5 years old on Monday.

With #2, my son was transverse breech and kept moving up and down and finally when he was head down for the 2nd time, my OB and I decided to induce before he could move up again which was only 2 days before my due date. When I got hooked up to the monitors, I was already having contractions on my own due to walking around at Disneyland for 3 hours to get him to go head down. I was in labor for only 6 hours, pushed for 7 minutes (3 good pushes and he was out). I was not tired and it was so easy. The cord was wrapped around his neck, probably due to being pushed out so quickly but he had no complications. I was induced with pitocin and asked for the epidural immediately but due to so many emergency c-sections, I had to wait longer for my epidural and felt a lot more contractions than I ever cared too. My son was only 6 lbs 12 oz (orignally expected to be closer to 8 lbs or more due to measurements). I had one very tiny tear that my doctor said didn't really require a stitch but she gave me a stitch anyways. I healed fine but by getting on my feet and moving around too early, since I know had two kids to take care of, I re-opened the slight tear and irritated it and had to re-heal all over again.

Sorry if this was too long or too much information, but I know when I was pregnant, I always wanted to hear all the details. Congrats and good luck!


My baby is almost 7 months and tonight is the first night he'll be sleeping by himself in his crib. Of course?
Q. we have the baby monitors on. If he cries tonight should I go in and calm him or let him cry? The doctor says he needs to calm himself and doesn't need to be fed at night. Should I though? Doctors are all about the "cry it out method". I cried it out just putting him into bed and hearing his scared cry tonight even with the night light on. With the fear of sids on my mind I don't know if I'll be able to sleep.

A. I have four kids. My first two I let 'cry a few minutes' and ALWAYS ended up in their rooms multiple times a night. And it lasted until they were both around two. Babies aren't stupid. Sure they don't know when three or five minutes have passed, but they do know 'if I cry, mom comes'

Well my third child started on solids, same pedi tells me its time to get her sleeping all night, he said DO NOT GIVE IN! He said let her cry and I PROMISE after two nights... DONE. Well she cried a lot the first night, it was tough, very tough. The second night, she slept all night. I realize not all babies will adjust after just one night. I sure wished I had listened with my first two kids. I guarantee the chances of your baby sleeping thru the night are next to zero if you keep going in when they cry.

Also, I'm not sure I would even use a blanket if it were a good temp and baby has pajamas on. And nothing big enough or thick enough to restrict breathing. The whole sleeping thing is very controversial, and SOME say its more dangerous for baby to be in bed with parents. But I had mine in my bed sometimes. Baby #4 is in my bed now.

If you are doing this don't give in, you can sneak a peak at baby, check on baby while he/she is asleep. But don't give in! I am proof of what works and what doesn't. And even tho its heartbreaking listening to baby cry, I PROMISE you will be forgiven and greeted with a smile when you come in in the morning.

Good luck


What method do/would you use to stop teenage pregnancy in your child's life?
Q. Most parents don't want to see their kid raising a child in their teens. You don't want to keep your kid from experiencing life but you don't want them to experience TOO much, if you know what I mean. What would your methods be?

A. This is tough and I am struggling with it since I have 4 girls! I monitor her phone,places she goes but allow some freedom until she breaks my trust. Then its back to no cell/grounding. My girls help me with the two babies we have also so they know how hard it is raising babies. I think that somehow scared them haha!


What kinds off things do I need to do in order to prepare for my new baby?
Q. I am a first time mom, and my baby girl is due at any time...I just want to make sure that I have done everything I need to do, and I have gotten everything I need...

I don�t want to bring her home then figure out that I left something out....

A. First time mom here too! I've been asking people that recently and here are some of the things I've been told. A lot of the stuff that you buy for a first baby never gets used. Not in the way of clothes and stuff, but when you buy special pacifier holders and $100 play mats you'll end up putting the pacifiers on a counter and laying a blanket on the floor instead :P

Unless you want to be one of those super regimented people, you probably won't even use the changing table after a few weeks. A blanket or a towel on the floor works just as well. You can throw it in the wash if it gets dirty, and there's no possible way the baby can fall when it's already on the ground.

Clothes-wise:

Onesies, sleepsuits, singlets, mittens (if your baby will leave them on), baby hats and socks are the basics. For winter you'll need jackets too of course.

Bibs, soft blankets, burp cloths and baby towels will also be used every day.

If you're breast feeding you'll need good maternity bras, some button-up shirts or cami's depending on the season where you're living, nipple cream, a strong will, and breast pads.

If you're bottle feeding then you'll need the bottles (obviously), a sterilizer, newborn formula, a bottle warmer (if you don't want to be heating on the stove at two am) and those little travel containers to put portions of formula in while you're out.

Then you'll need things for when you go out. Diaper bag with space for extra clothes and all the change equipment--sometimes you may even need to bag up a dirty diaper and keep it with you if there's nowhere to dispose of it--, a pram/sling/pouch or whatever you prefer, and a car seat to get there if you drive or get driven.

Other items from obvious to not so obvious might include: a bassinet or cot, bedding, baby bath, rocker or bouncer, a high chair (again, if you're the super regimented type that won't end up with the baby sitting in your lap on the couch), a walker when the time comes, a diaper stacker, a chest of draws and/or wardrobe to store all the mini clothes in, a toy box for the million and one toys that somehow turn up even when you don't buy them (damn relatives :P), baby monitor, wipes (I know a girl who bought like a thousand diapers, and then forgot the wipes...), baby bath, rash cream and powder (certain kids respond better to one rather than the other or both). A bulb syringe in case of mucus build up in the throat.

And finally, the number one thing you must remember to have before the baby arrives is the acceptance that no matter how much you might prepare or plan, things will still come up that you're not equipt for. You'll do your best, mess up at some point, but make it through to know better tomorrow.

Good luck!





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How many weeks were you when you had your baby etc?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment