Saturday, December 15, 2012

When did you remove the baby monitor from your childs room?

Q. My daughter is 8 months old so she's obviously way too young to remove the monitor and I probably wouldn't consider it before she was 2 or 3, but I was thinking about it and I don't really know at what age the baby monitor is typically done away with.

A. I know we're in the minority, but I still have monitors in both my girls' room (ages 5 and 6) and in my son's room (age 2). They're there mostly so that they don't have to yell for us if they need something and we're downstairs. Having the monitors helps me determine if I need to intervene in an argument while they're playing, allows me to hear a child who needs help in the bathroom, and generally helps me be more aware of what's going on upstairs while I'm downstairs.

We don't use the monitors once we go to bed since all the bedrooms are right next to each other. Sometimes I wonder if I should take the monitor out of my girls' room since it's clearly not a necessity, but they don't seem to mind it. They know it's there, and they know we can hear them if they call for us quietly (which keeps them from yelling and waking up their brother if he's asleep).

Heck, I use the monitor to call things down to my husband or the kids, too -- like my own personal PA system. ;-)

I think it just depends on the size/layout of your house and what works for you and your family. There's no right or wrong answer here.


What baby monitor(s) don't interfere with each other?
Q. I have 2 kids under the age of 2, each with their own room, at an opposite side of the house from my husband and I. We need to find a monitor(s) that doesn't interfere with the other so that we can hear both of them at night.

A. It's not the monitor, but the frequency it uses that interfere with another. TYou'll need to find two monitors that work on different frequencies or there are some that come with a switch allowing you to choose from two frequencies.


Does anyone know where I could find a double baby monitor?
Q. I need to find a double baby monitor for my sisters new house. She has 2 babies (16 month and 3 month) and needs a double monitor. What I mean is 2 receivers and 2 speakers that all work together so she can put a receiver in each of the babies rooms and 1 speaker upstairs and one downstairs. If anyone knows where I could find one online or in a store that would be great thanks :)

A. As far as I have been able to find, there is no such thing. You can't have two transmitters because they use the same radio frequencies - the signals interfere with each other so you just get static on the receiver. Same thing applies if you try buying two different sets of monitors - one for each baby - because ALL baby monitors share the same narrow range of frequencies due to government regulation of the radio frequencies.

My solution is to have one conventional baby monitor with 2 receivers (for one kid) and one intercom set for the other kid. The intercoms I'm using are a 3-piece set I bought from radio shack. They plug into the wall and will work 2-ways. You set the one in the baby's room to "lock" and turn the other ones on and it works just like a baby monitor. Since the baby monitor is wireless and the intercoms send the signal through the electrical wires of the house, the signals don't interfere with each other.


Can the start of labor ever feel like a kidney stone?
Q. I've had 2 kids and 30 kidney stones, but last time I was checked (a year ago) I had no stones left. It is possible one has formed since then. I am 36 weeks pregnant. I'm having a pain in my side that reminds me of a kidney stone but like I said, last check I had none. Can labor ever start on one side and feel that way? I don't want to go into the ER just for a stone.

A. I had a kidney stone while I was pregnant with my 1st child. I didn't know what it was at the time. I thought I was in labor so I went to the hospital and they told me to go home and wait it out. All they were able to do was to listen to the baby's heartbeat and monitor my contractions. They said my contractions weren't able to be timed so I should come back later. Then a week later the same thing happened again. (I had this happen to me 3 different times before I finally went into labor for real). My dad suffers with stones too and I told him what it felt like and he knew exactly what it was. (It's sad my own dad can tell me I'm not in labor and diagnose my problem when a doctor can't). But anyways, they can't do a CT scan since your pregnant so it's really hard for them to tell if that's what the problem is. Take my advice and call your doctor about it anyways, because it is better for them to know about what's going on than not. If you get to the hospital and they tell you that you aren't in labor then ask them to do an ultrasound; they had to do that with me (even though they still weren't able to find one). But most of the time they will be able to see if there is one in there. Labor can start almost any way it wants to. Some times it is called "back labor", but either way, I would let my doctor know what's going on.

Be Blessed and congrats!





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: When did you remove the baby monitor from your childs room?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment