Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Would you leave your baby in a hotel room alone sleeping while you hang out in the hotel bar and periodically?

Q. go up and check on the baby? What about your own house ... would you leave your baby sleeping in your house and go two houses down to hang out and hang out with another couple? If no, would you do it with a baby monitor?

Just wondering because I know people who do just this type of thing on a regular basis, and I think it's asking for trouble. Even with a monitor, how would you protect your child if someone broke in, or if the house caught fire, or if your child had a medical emergency? The whole McCann thing is a huge example of this.

I'm interested in other people's opinions.

A. I would never do this. I may not like children all that much, but I would never neglect them that way. They could be hurt or worse killed.


Does anyone know where I could find a double baby monitor?
Q. I need to find a double baby monitor for my sisters new house. She has 2 babies (16 month and 3 month) and needs a double monitor. What I mean is 2 receivers and 2 speakers that all work together so she can put a receiver in each of the babies rooms and 1 speaker upstairs and one downstairs. If anyone knows where I could find one online or in a store that would be great thanks :)

A. As far as I have been able to find, there is no such thing. You can't have two transmitters because they use the same radio frequencies - the signals interfere with each other so you just get static on the receiver. Same thing applies if you try buying two different sets of monitors - one for each baby - because ALL baby monitors share the same narrow range of frequencies due to government regulation of the radio frequencies.

My solution is to have one conventional baby monitor with 2 receivers (for one kid) and one intercom set for the other kid. The intercoms I'm using are a 3-piece set I bought from radio shack. They plug into the wall and will work 2-ways. You set the one in the baby's room to "lock" and turn the other ones on and it works just like a baby monitor. Since the baby monitor is wireless and the intercoms send the signal through the electrical wires of the house, the signals don't interfere with each other.


How long should a newborn sleep in your bedroom?
Q. I am expecting and am new to this all. As a new mother, I know there are going to be things that are going to go wrong but, I'd prefer to keep them to a minimum, as we all do. I am planning on keeping her in a bassinet in our bedroom until she outgrows it. But, I was thinking, once she outgrows her bassinet is it okay to leave her in her crib at night and rely on baby monitors? Or is there a certain amount of time she should spend in our room with us? (Of course not in the same bed obviously).

A. You are going to hear from two camps on this issue. Some people believe that kicking your baby out of your bedroom and making him scream until he passes out will teach him independence. Other people have yet to find evidence to support this, and we prefer to allow our babies to sleep where they are happy.

You absolutely may share a bed with your baby if you like, and doing so safely will actually REDUCE the risk of SIDS. Studies that say otherwise fail to differentiate between safe cosleeping and unsafe cosleeping. If you change your mind about cosleeping after baby is born (many parents do, including me), learn how to do it safely and enjoy it. It makes nighttime feedings easier!

You may also move baby out when you want, and there are techniques to do so gently. There is a great book called The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. If you start from birth, your job will be easy!

There is another book that all new parents need to read, and it addresses sleeping, feeding, development, first aid and medical care and parenting among other topics. It's called The Baby Book by William Sears. Dr Sears will teach you that you already know how to take care of your baby, you just need to tune out bad advice.

To answer your question, There's no way to know what you'll need to do about sleeping arrangements until that time gets here, so make up a tentative plan, and don't be afraid to change it as you go. That's an important lesson in parenting: things rarely go as planned, so go with the flow and keep a sense of humor about your well-laid plans!

Congratulations!


When did you stop using your baby monitor?
Q. What age was your baby/toddler when you stopped using a baby monitor? If you are still using one when do you plan on stopping? Are there any specific reasons you have stopped or are still using? I am still using one and my family laughs at me - my baby is 20 months old.

A. My son is 6 1/2, and we used ours until just recently. His bedroom was all the way across the house from us (one-story and very spread out), and he would still sometimes wake up in the night to use the bathroom and not be able to find the door to his room (he doesn't like a night light) and would yell for us to help him. We wouldn't have been able to hear him without the monitor. When we moved, his room is still across the house but it's two-story so he's really not that far and he's done fine without it. My mother-in-law was always asking me if I'd still be using it when he's 15. LOL Use it until YOU think it's time to stop. :)





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Would you leave your baby in a hotel room alone sleeping while you hang out in the hotel bar and periodically?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment