Tuesday, May 7, 2013

How can I get faster internet?

Q. Please, no smartaleck answers please! I'm willing to spend money.

Okay, so to start off with, I have horrible internet. It might be average compared to standards, but my friends literally have internet that is 100x faster than mine. No joke, I'll show the specs later.

Now, I know a bit about internet. There's 802.11a/b/g/n/ac. I'm pretty sure 802.11ac just came out and most people have 802.11n. However, after some simple investigation, I discovered that I was still on 802.11a, and of course then had WEP encryption. WEP is easily hackable, and 802.11a, as I understand it, has a very bad range. It gets interference from nearly EVERYTHING (microwaves, baby monitors, etc.)

As everyone knows, 802.11a has a LIMIT of 54mbps. However, I usually get around 0.7 mbps, at best. I sure would love to see that 1080p icon at least once in my life. However, at my friend's house, I downloaded a 50MB app for my iPod, and I saw that it installed within seconds. After the initial shock, I ran a quick speed test and it said that I was getting 33mbps down and 19mbps up! At my school, speeds are even higher with 92mbps down and 47mbps up (but of course they use ethernet so that doesn't mean anything)! At my house, I get around 0.65mbps down and 0.28mbps up, usually. As you can see, this is literally over 20X slower than other areas I have ran a speedtest.

Therefore, how can I get either 1) faster 802.11a or 2) what type of router should I get (either 802.11n or 802.11ac) as a replacement?
I have the $29.95/mo plan from AT&T.

A. Stick with 802.11n for now. To get faster internet talk to your ISP, or several ISPs if you have a choice, to see what speeds they have on offer. Start by finding out what ISP your friend uses. Also, ISPs often will provide a good router for free or nearly free, so check out that aspect before shelling out your own $$ for one.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How can I get faster internet?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment