Monday, May 6, 2013

what monitor besides a savannah is better to have as a pet?

Q. I was just wondering, what is better a black throat monitor or a white throat? I am going to the reptile expo and their should be tons of baby monitors for sale, what would be better? I already have a savannah that is the weirdest thing, I bought a nile, and they have been living together for the past 2 years. But anyway, what would be better with temperment?

A. ridge tailed monitors (ackies) are the best choice for a first time varanid or tegu type "pet" hands down, nothing is as friendly or inquisitive as an ackie in the whole monitor, tegu world. no discussion on this one. forget the savannah or black/white throat you need to have some monitor/tegu keeping years under your belt before you get one of these. you will fail and they will die or be you will be overwhelmed by their care and cost , probably both. here is a link to all you you need to know to get started with ackies http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ2.html#14
as far as tegus go all are fairly easy to keep its just size and temperaments that differ ( they all get big just some bigger ); blue tegus are the smallest, have nice temperament, and can subside on an all rodent diet. argentine black and whites (aka. the chacoan or giant tegu) are the most recommended species for the beginner do to there excellent temperaments and their very, forgiving of keeper mistakes. they are also one of the largest tegu species some individuals will take some fruit as well as rodents some not . the red tegu is also one of the largest along with the argentin black and white. it also shares the same excellent temperament as the arentine black and white but it is not very forgiving of mistakes in their care at all. colombian black and white tegus(common tegu) is the least recommended they are just as easy to keep as most of the other tegus ,its their temperament that are shitty. they are down right mean! here is a link to one of the most respected tegu breeder in the world bert langerwerf at http://www.agamainternational.com/

p.s. savs. and tegus need a minimum cage size of 8 feet long by 4 feet wide by 4 feet deep, a black throat monitor minimum cage size of 12 feet by 6 feet by 6 feet. those are some big cages! and feeding is EXPENSIVE . an breeding trio of ackies on the other hand needs a minimum cage size of 4 feet long by 2 feet wide by 2 feet deep ,that is a MUCH more easy to provide cage size then the others and the feeding isnt a fraction of the cost..which one is going to be cared for properly by a monitor / tegu newbie? these animals are a whole different ball game than any other herp. besides the size thing get old fast when it comes to monitors. . go ackie!


p.p.s. i guess i didnt read the whole question cause i just noticed the sav. & nile thing. monitors ARE social animals( frank retes at the goanna ranch proved this fact) but only in same species/breeding settings ( for the most part ). i agree with william w maybe you should reconsider keeping monitors

p.p.p.s.to lizard momma. quince monitors are hot looking monitors right? dont hear about people keeping them very often . i had a pair years ago i picked up from switzer reptiles. never any good eggs from them just duds. loved looking at them though, just couldnt stand their temperaments (can you say scratch and spray). even the few C.B.B. ones ive seen have had shitty attitudes.


How often should I feed baby savannah monitor?
Q. Well I have a 3 month baby savannH monitor how often should I feed her and how many crickets when I feed her? Also how big will she get in a year?

A. Nice choice of a lizard there amazing. I have one and I feed it a fuzzy every week and randomly throughout the week I chuck in some roaches but I wouldn't really copy this way as it worked for me I'm not too sure it would work for you. I had mine since a baby of about 1 month old and about 3-4 months you can start to feed him pinkys. A good pinky once a month should be maximum because too many could be bad as there still young and mice are fatty and lack the better vitamins. So I'd stick with roaches or crickets . In a year it will grow to about a foot and they grow the most in 3 years so this is when you need to get a good feed


What did you do or what are you currently doing?
Q. Did you/do you use a baby monitor with the baby in the other room at night...or did/does your baby sleep in your room?

Do you think any either of those are a bad choice?

A. My son slept in our room with us until he was reliably sleeping through the night. After that we moved him into his own room across the hall. I wanted to keep him as close to me as possible when he was waking up often at night so that I wouldn't have to walk as far to get him and put him back to bed. Lazy, I know, but practical. He slept in his bassinet at the foot of my bed, which meant I didn't even have to get out of bed to tend to him. I just don't see any joy in getting out of bed, walking around the house, getting baby, putting baby back, and walking back to bed when you have to do it several times a night.

We moved him into his own room across the hall, left both doors open, and I made certain the baby monitor was positioned close to my head so that I would hear him. I don't know what I was thinking, but we didn't need the baby monitor at all. I mean, he was only 20-30 feet away with both doors open. When he cried, I heard him. Even in our larger home now, I can hear him cry across the house with both of our bedroom doors shut.

No, I don't think either choices are inherently bad. I do think that co-sleeping, done properly, is the safest option for a newborn since it prevents SIDS. It also helps babies sleep better.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: what monitor besides a savannah is better to have as a pet?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment