Sunday, April 20, 2014

Suggestions on good baby monitors?

Q. I have a set of Fisher Price Sounds n Lights baby monitors, and their ability to pick up the tiniest sounds is great, but at random times they will just squeal extremely loud in a high pitched noise. It will even wake up my 5 week old daughter. She is a preemie, and she's only at 37 weeks now - so she's having stomach problems that hurt her, so the sleep she can get is precious for her.

Does anyone have any really good experience with a certain monitor? This is my first baby and I'm getting used to waking up to her cries - so I'd like the sensitivity of the monitors to be the same as these, I want to hear her LOUD and clear on the monitor. And the high pitches isn't due to other electronics, I just have an electronic clock in her room. Sometimes if you get close with a cell phone it'll do it - but 90% of the time it just does it randomly and loud loud loud!

Any mothers with advice, I'd appreciate it :)


Answer
I'm going to recommend the Sony Baby Call Monitor. We purchased it because it was the only one on the market that would not affect the cell phone usage in the house (and we figured they were all pretty much the same otherwise). You can get it on Amazon.com for about $30: http://www.amazon.com/NTM-910YLW-Sony-Baby-Nursery-Monitor/dp/B000S35QLC/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1WDSCNEPMTGUH&coliid=I3CN073HZ5ZDKX
It also comes in a set with two receivers.

We liked it because you can adjust the sensitivity. There's a wheel on the side to adjust the volume of your baby's cry. This way, you can get used to her waking you up without being shocked out of your own sleep. Plus, our daughter made lots of noises in her sleep that kept us awake. We were able to set the volume so we didn't hear those noises, but did hear her crying.

The only experience they have with squealing, is if you unplug the baby's monitor from the wall. It's more of an alert system, so you hear the squeal on your end when someone's messing with the other monitor.

Also, the receiver gets real staticky when the microwave is on.

Question for Preemie moms...?

Q. What helped you get through the time spent in the NICU...besides the fact that your son/daughter was in there. I mean...sometimes it is just so hard! I don't mean to sound selfish at all, its just hard to sit there and watch all these mothers feeding their babies, and when they bring in the car seats, you know another baby is going home.

My daughter was born 3 months early, only 3 weeks ago. So I have a ways to go, at least another month or more(probably more). Anyone else gone through this? I don't know if I'm slightly depressed or not either...


Answer
I know how you feel. Both of my girls were preemies. With my first daughter, we were able to hold her and she was fine, but with our second daughter (who is now 5 months old), we weren't able to hold her until she was about 4 days old, and then only for a little while, and it is so hard to hold your baby when they are on oxygen plus a dozen other monitors. It was really hard because we had our 2 year old at home and my husband had to go back to work and so I couldn't be with our newborn in the NICU all of the time because I had to take care of our 2 year old. You know, it was a rough pregnancy and I was in the hospital for a lot of it, but as miserable as I was while I was pregnant, I cried so often and wished for nothing more than to be back to being pregnant with my baby because at least then I could have her with me. It was a feeling of such distress. NICU in itself can be a stressful place with all of the monitors on your tiny little baby, and only being able to see your baby and hold them during certain times. You see all of these new moms on the regular maternity wing holding and cuddling their monitor-free newborns and you wish that you could be doing that with yours. You think to yourself, "I should be holding her and cuddling her, she shouldn't have to be in that incubator all alone hooked up to all of those wires and under that oxygen hood". You literally ache to hold your baby. And then when you are able to hold them and then the nurses tell you that it's time for your baby to go back in the incubator, this horrible feeling comes over you like you just want to hit the nurse - lol. Okay, so that's not a good thing, but that's how I felt. I hated having time constraints on when and how long I could hold my baby especailly after I wasn't allowed to hold her until she was 4 days old already and it's like you just want to cry. I just pretty much sat there by her side. But you do need to rest. Take this opportunity to rest up. Are you rooming at the hospital, or commuting from home? If you are staying at the hospital, then be sure to get some sleep in between sitting with your baby.
It's the scarriest thing in the world when one of the stats on your baby's monitors drops and then the loud beepers start going off - your heart just freezes. Prayer helped me too. It helped a lot. They didn't know if my little one was going to make it through the first night and then when she did they said it was a miracle. I'll never forget that though, when the doctor came into our room and I asked him if our baby was going to make it and he said "I don't know". Ugh - I'll never forget those words. Then she developed pneumonia and had to be in even longer. It's heck, I'll agree. Just develop your support system. Get to know the nurses. They are there to talk to too. Be very involved with your baby's care. Do as much as you can. Be as invloved as you can. I remember when we were able to hold our daughter, her heart rate and O2 levels would stabilize... that was the coolest thing in the world. Lean on your husband or significant other for support, and the staff too. That's what they are there for.
I know you feel like you just want to scream, cry, and throw a fit. I know I did. You feel helpless and jealous even when other parents come in to take their babies home and you're thinking "is it ever going to be my turn?" It's so hard. If you think that you are depressed at all, be SURE to talk to a trusted nurse about it - they will help you out with that! It is so important to get help. Have yourself a good crying too. Take a shower, lock the bathroom door and just have a good old fashioned fit. It helps. Sounds childish, but it helps. God bless sweetie and I'll keep ya and your little one in my prayers. E-mail me please, if you want to talk ....




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Suggestions on good baby monitors?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment