Thursday, June 19, 2014

Looking for a video camera with good audio... any suggestions?




ThatMixedD


I have a piano recital coming up, and I need a suggestion for a fairly cheap camera with good audio recording capabilities, as the last camera we used recorded the sound absolutely horribly ( i assume it was because the camera was made to only capture the human voice's spectrum ).

I just want something that can capture the full span of sound that a piano can emit without hisses or cracking noises- or if there is no such camera, share some ideas for best recording the event (e.g. maybe a suggested external mic or whatever)... I have one month. Thanks :)



Answer
Camcorder microphones aren't usually professional level, but they aren't bad, either. What they are is poorly located to get audiophile level recording. Way too far away far away from the source of the sound, they'll pick up noise and chatter from close to the camera. If you're filming at the 3-6 foot range, most camcorder audio will work fine. Farther away requires more effort. Bottom line is that proper microphone placement is critical for good recordings.

Depending on the stage setup (if any) at the recital, see if one of the following options is feasible:

1) If the piano is miked into a PA/speaker system, recording the line output of that device onto a CD or other recorder gives some of the clearest possible sound. If you leave your camcorder running continuously during the performance, it's fairly easy to sync the CD audio to your digital video in any of the movie editors and get top notch audio and video. Leave your camcorder running so you only have to sync one spot, not at every scene. Once synced, you can then cut out boring sections of the video. (~$0 expense if they have a CD recording system already in place)

2) If the piano isn't miked, you can use a digital audio recorder. The good ones aren't cheap, but you'll get baby monitor quality sound if you go cheap. Place the recorder in a good location near the piano (test before the recital if at all possible). These small devices are unobtrusive, and can get quality recordings if placed properly. You could use this recording to supplement/replace your existing camera's audio as described above ~ $150 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/599284-REG/Tascam_DR_07_DR_07_Portable_Digital_Audio.html)

3) You can buy a camcorder with an external microphone jack and get a wireless mic system or a shotgun mic (think teleaudio to match your telephoto zoom). Unfortunately, you tend to get what you pay for on this. Decent ones start at $75 and you still have to figure out where to position the microphone. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=15708&N=4290441573+4293345063&Ns=p_PRICE_2%7C0
Shotgun microphones (the zoom version of a microphone) are very directional in it's pickup pattern, removing much of the side noise captured by built in microphones. $60+ http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3646-REG/Azden_ECZ_990_ECZ_990_Super_Cardioid_Shotgun.html
Unless your existing videocamera has an external mic jack, you'll have to factor in the additional cost of a new camera with a microphone input. External microphone jacks have been removed from the feature list of most consumer camcorders. HD cameras with the external microphone jack tend to be ~ $800-$1000

Scared to put 5 month old across the hall :(?




Summermom


I have been cosleeping with my 5 month old since she has been born. I love having her near me, but my husband sleeps on the couch and we really miss sleeping together. The problem is I cannot bear putting her in her baby bed across the hall in her room. I would not be able to sleep at all! I always think something could happen to her and I would not be there, like a fire, or robbery, or her just spittng up choking. A baby monitor would not be good enough! How do I solve this problem and has any other mother felt this way and how did you get over it!?


Answer
You're not alone, momma! I really struggled with that too. Give yourself "baby steps". First put her in a safe place right next to your bed then move her away slowly if you need to. We put our baby in the pack and play bassinett and put her across the room from us for several months before moving her to her own room -- and then I checked on her several times per night! We also bought a video monitor so I could see her without waking her and that helped put my mind at ease a ton. At some point I have to tell myself too that I can't watch her every second even when she's right next to me -- you fall asleep and can't listen for every breath. Take it from me, I wish I'd gotten her used to her own bed sooner, because our baby has had some serious separation anxiety problems with getting used to sleeping on her own. We will definitely move our next baby sooner so that everyone can get some sleep! I know it is hard and scary. Unfortunately at some point you just have to make the move and pray for her safety (and check on her throughout the night!) Seriously consider the video monitor. If I zoomed in I could even see her breathing (chest rising and falling).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Looking for a video camera with good audio... any suggestions?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment