Saturday, August 3, 2013

Baby monitor with camera?

best baby monitor smartphone
 on bestbabymonitor Another baby monitor for iOS devices
best baby monitor smartphone image



Love


I'm having my first child in December and my mom and I are looking at baby monitors and we found on that had a camera and shows you a live image of the baby. My mom was pretty impressed by this as they weren't around when I was a baby. But they are outrageously priced! I think she wants to get one for me anyway, as this is her first grandchild and my mom's the type to spend way too much. So I was wondering does anyone else have these? Worth the price? Are they any good?


Answer
I actually did this, but I used a wireless ip camera. When my son was 9 months old we had to move from a condo to an apartment with no washer/dryer hookup. So I had to leave the apartment to do the laundry a couple doors down and needed a way to see what my son was up to in between loads. I agree that the video monitor setups are very steep. And something worth noting is that every single one I've seen on shelves is not a secured network. So that video signal is open for others to view nearby. I use(d) a dlink IP cam that is networked securely to my home wireless network and accessible via smartphone. It cost about 30 bucks and 15 minutes of setup and I was up and going. I've had this setup for almost 3 years now and it's been helpful. I don't think I've had any memorable absences, but it's a nice piece of mind to make sure my son was sleeping safely when I had to leave the apartment for a moment.

Is a wireless modem/gateway realy "wire"- less?




Tommy Slic


Hi, my parents are always pressuring me to help them buy a "wireless" modem/gateway for our DSL service, because they don't like cables connecting everywhere, but I am a little confused on this, because we already have "wireless internet gateway" that acts as a modem/router combination and it supports wifi connections...

So my question is, is it actually possible to have a literally "wireless" gateway that don't require any cables to plug in to it...? Or did my parents get the definition wrong and "wireless" really means wifi connections?
I mean is it actually possible for a "wireless" gateway to not require any cables at all? Even no power adapter required?



Answer
There are completely wireless devices that can provide broadband Internet to multiple devices via WiFi.

You may be able to get a WiFi device from your mobile broadband provider such as the MiFi. The MiFi device connects to the Internet via a cellular data plan and provides wireless routing functionality.

The MiFi is a very small, portable, self-contained device that uses a rechargeable battery.

A MiFi is convenient. I used one in the past for work and travel.

When wireless mobile hotspots on smartphones became commonplace, I cancelled my MiFi and started using a wireless hotspot app on my smartphone.

Same functionality at a lower cost, the add-on data plan is much cheaper than paying for two devices. I just turn it on on the phone and can connect up to 8 wireless devices.

You have to pay for a mobile data plan from your cellular provider.

Be forewarned that most have low monthly data limits and buying more is expensive, so you wouldn't want to use it to stream a lot of Netflix movies or try and replace your home DSL or cable Internet service.

I have a 6 GB shared family data plan and find that more than adequate, you'll have to monitor your mobile usage for a few months and upgrade or downgrade your data plan to match your usage. Verizon emails me an alert when I have used 50% of the data allowance. I usually receive this late in the billing cycle so I have never exceeded the data limits.

That being said,

For home use you are much better off with a DSL, cable, or fiber optic Internet service. Most of these types of providers have much larger monthly data limits of 150 GB or more. Here is a blog post on current ISP data caps: http://isp1.us/blog/current-data-caps-for-us-isp-providers/

You can either use a wireless router (which has much better WiFi range than a portable device such as a MiFi) or a gateway such as you use.

Another point,

WiFi connections are convenient, especially for portable devices such as tablets, laptops, etc., however convenience comes at a price.

Unless you specifically need a wireless connection, I would not generally recommend it especially for a fixed device such as a desktop PC or for a device used for serious online gaming or video streaming.

Wireless signals are affected by many factors including distance, wall density, electrical interference, directional antenna range, etc.

All of these factors will affect your actual wireless range. As wireless connection quality varies the connection speeds are renegotiated. The connection may start at 150 Mbps and end up at less than 20 Mbps or drop entirely.

You should try to centrally locate your wireless router or gateway up high and away from dense walls and electrical and 2.4 GHz wireless interference such as microwave ovens, cordless phones, baby monitors, etc.

For good consistent speed, your best bet is a direct Ethernet connection. Ethernet is unaffected by wireless interference and will give you a rock solid, stable network connection.

Remember, for Ethernet or WiFi connections, this is only the local network (LAN) speed. Internet (WAN) speed is determined by your ISP. For example a 3 Mbps Internet connection can only provide 3 Mbps even if connected to a Gigabit Ethernet network. No router or connection will make your Internet faster than 3 Mbps.

The only way to Improve your Internet speed is to upgrade your plan or switch to a faster ISP.

Good Luck...




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Baby monitor with camera?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment