Friday, September 13, 2013

In Canada, is it illegal for someone to listen in on my baby monitor? And how likely is it to happen?

best baby monitor cheap
 on Cheap Baby Monitor - Best Night Vision And Av Out Baby Monitor Ka2bm01 ...
best baby monitor cheap image



Brick


Just wondering what the laws are here, can't seem to find much information on it. The monitor transmits on 49MHz frequency. The other day I happened to catch something that sounded like a walkie talkie and it made me wonder if I'm hearing that on my monitor, could anyone be listening to our family? Hopefully no one is, but I have caught my snoopy neighbours sitting in the dark, looking into my window once. I'm now pretty weary of them.

If this monitor is easy to listen to, is there a baby monitor that anyone knows of that transmits on a frequency that would be more difficult to listen in on?

Thanks for any info!
That is correct, it's a baby monitor. It's not a magical device that stops transmitting sounds that don't originate directly from the baby or within the baby's room. It is capable of transmitting any sounds near the room. I'm well aware that my baby monitor is not secure in any way, that's why I'm here asking. My question is about it being legal or not to take advantage of this monitor and use it to eavesdrop on a family. I'm not interested in "probably" legal, I'd like to hear from someone who knows about these specific radio laws here in Canada.



Answer
It is perfectly legal in Canada to possess and use radio equipment which is able to receive broadcast provided that the information is not passed on or disclosed to another person or people. It is illegal to decrypt encrypted or scrambled communications. Laws are laid out in the Canadian Radiocommunications Act.

Police scanners are perfectly legal. So are cell phone scanners. Equipment such as baby monitors and cordless phones are notoriously cheap and only operate over a limited range of radio frequencies. It is often possible for two different sets of baby monitors to be on the same frequency and hear each other just by chance. Most operate on frequencies not easily picked up by standard two-way radios, but one with enough money one can purchase radio equipment able to pick up those frequencies. However, in most cases, someone would have to be extremely serious if they wanted to listen to your baby monitor -- or just extremely (un)lucky that their system picked it up.

In previous jobs I've had access to equipment able to pick up the darnedest things. You'd be installing some equipment on a remote mountain top and then listening to a crane operator on minute and a couple of arguing fishermen the next. People do have a habit of assuming that no one else is listening.

You can look for units which have scramblers built in. You can use wired units. You can locate it against an outside wall with a (silvered) mirror behind it. You can find one which you can lower its transmitting power -- or in which you can take off its transmitting antenna. Try walking around your house with the receiver and see how far away you can hear anything. Many units allow resetting of frequencies -- you can do this every day -- and some even to this each time it is turned on/off.

Is there a good online store that I can buy a good IP camera?







Hello guys, I am a new member, nice to meet you here. I'd like to buy a IP camera as a baby monitor for my three kids. Would you please recommend a good online store for me to purchase it? Any help will be much appreciated.


Answer
Well, I just get an phone from Culala.com cheap camera. so so




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: In Canada, is it illegal for someone to listen in on my baby monitor? And how likely is it to happen?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment