Saturday, November 23, 2013

Anyone have labor induced because of the size of the baby?

best baby monitor guide
 on The best night vision top rated best baby video monitors from Motorola ...
best baby monitor guide image



BabyGlennI


The doctor says it is possible that my baby is too big and he would consider inducing me. I am 38 weeks pregnant and I have an ultrasound tomorrow to check on his size. I do not have any medical conditions, he just has always measured further along. My question is, has anyone ever had an induction due to the size of the baby? And if so, how big was the baby? Thanks in advance!


Answer
Don't let anyone who hasn't experienced an induction scare you. I've had two successful inductions and I have two happy, healthy, intelligent little girls who are advanced for their age. Induction doesn't mean that harm will come to you or baby, the technology for monitoring the contractions is really sophisticated and baby's heart rate will also be continuously monitored as well. There is relatively little risk of fatality if the induction is performed for a good reason and under the supervision of an experienced OB/GYN. Sometimes induction saves the mother's life as in my case. I was diagnosed with preeclampsia with an extremely high spike in blood pressure, and protein in my urine. I could have had a heart attack or stroke from this pregnancy induced disease. Delivering baby in a timely way saved both our lives as this is the only cure for this life-threatening condition.

In my family the women tend to give birth to large babies (ie. 10-11 lbs) and we have relatively small frames. There are several of my siblings and cousins who had birth injuries because of their large size and drawn out complicated births. It is better to induce early if the Dr. thinks that there is a chance for macrosomia (big baby). In this case a child can be born with a brain bleed, like my sister did and she is mentally retarded and partially deaf. It was a birth injury. My cousin has learning disabilities as he was also birth injured. His long labor resulted in a forceps delivery and a broken collar bone in addition to head injuries because the babies in our family are heavy AND have big heads. Let your Dr's expertise be your guide. Better not to gamble with going to term if it looks like your baby is over 9 lbs. Some may disagree with me but I know two family members who were carried to term and wound up being 10 lb.+ babies and the mothers suffered long painful deliveries, episiotomies or 4th degree tears and had babies who grew up with major disabilities. I know from personal experience. Don't gamble with your baby's life. If the Dr. says "induce" then listen. It could make the difference in having a healthy child. They advise this for a reason.

I also have been diagnosed with a large baby and we may induce early. I'll be monitored with ultrasounds until my delivery to check for cephalopelvic disporportion and a large baby. If it goes over 9 lbs, I'm scheduling a C-section. Its worth the extra pain not to have a mentally handicapped child.

what is the probability of twins in the same sac being born healthy?




petrina


My doctor is really freaking me out about the fact that my twins are in the same sac and sharing the same placenta. I am 18 weeks now and he is telling me they have a 50% chance of making it if I let the pregnancy go pass 32 weeks. Now I am terrified of the umbilical cord rapping around there necks. Anybody have and experience this and have healthy babies?


Answer
Your are having "MoMo" babies (monochorionic, monoamniotic or one sac and one placenta)

Fortunately, modern technology allows doctors to observe babies in the womb, and monitor the situation. High resolution ultrasounds, doppler imaging and non-stress tests help to assess symptoms and identify potential cord problems. Cord entanglement and compression are generally a slow process, so parents and medical caregivers have time to make decisions. Some situations will require such close monitoring that the expectant mother must remain hospitalized.

There is no approved treatment or procedure to fix the situation. The only resolution is delivery of the babies. Virtually all MoMo babies are born prematurely. Doctors have to balance the risks of the babies' condition in the womb versus the consequences of prematurity. If cord compression occurs early in the pregnancy, the babies may not be able to survive. Some doctors elect to schedule delivery of MoMo babies at 32, 34 or 36 weeks, believing that the womb environment is simply too dangerous past that point in time. Sometimes steroids may be administered to boost the babies' lung development and improve their chances of surviving outside the womb.

A cesarean section is mandated for MoMo babies to avoid cord prolapse, a situation that occurs when the second babies cord is expelled as the first baby is delivered.

multiples.about.com



You are having a very rare type of twins as I'm sure you are already aware. Hang in there and let your doctor guide you through. You should have a lot more ultrasounds than normal to keep an eye on the cords and you should be seeing a high risk doctor and not just your regular ob. I am not in your shoes but I feel for you and I hope it all works out. Best of luck to you and your babies.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Anyone have labor induced because of the size of the baby?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment