Friday, May 24, 2013

Question regarding dropped internet connection that happens 20-50+ times a day?

Q. I have Charter internet, a Linksys CM-100 modem, and an Airport Extreme simultaneous dual band wireless base station. Whether I am playing Xbox, watching Hulu on my MacBook Pro, playing an online game on my iPad, or browsing the web on my iMac, the internet just randomly stops working, but I don't lose connection to the router and the router doesn't go from a green light to an amber light to signal a problem. If I leave it long enough, it will fix itself, but when I am mid game or video and I lose my connection it really aggrivates me. To try and troubleshoot the problem I tried out a Linksys WRT54GS v7.2 to see if that would have similar problems, and it has. The modem lights all stay lit up as usual as if there is no problem there. It cannot be that 3 routers (I bought a new Airport Extreme when my old one was having this same problem thinking it was that router) have the exact same problem. What is my next troubleshooting step? Plug something straight into the modem and see if it happens? On any given day I lose my connection at least 20 times, if not 50 or more. It is not wireless interference as I have tried turning wireless off and plugging straight into the router via ethernet cable. My thoughts were to try plugging directly into the modem to see if the problem persists, and if it does, try a different modem, and if it still persists have Charter test the lines in my house.

Any feedback or anyone had similar problems? Thanks.

A. Yes plug directly into the modem with an Ethernet cable.

Has it every worked successfully for a long period of time? If yes then call the ISP and have them test the lines could be an issue on their side.

If it works directly plugged into the modem via Ethernet cable. Then you have narrowed the issue to being some thing within or around your home.

Things to check for when checking for RFI issues.
Do you have any fluorescent lights?
Cordless phone?
Concrete wall?
Steel?
Baby monitor?

Are any of the equipment plugged into the same wall or room? If yes, then some contractors will save money when building an apartment, house, etc.. Which means they are not running the wires properly and can cause issues for internet connection with ADSL aka DSL.

Are you using ADSL or Cable?

Have you set the Channels in the modem?
Have you deleted the plist for the connection in you OS X?
Are you running the same OS X on all Mac's?
If yes, then try another OS such as 10.4.x instead of 10.5.x or a Windows OS?

Most ISP's will give free tech support (inclusive of your monthly service) call them and see what help they can provide from their side of things. Hopefully they are more helpful than some that I have worked with and know about.

IMAC that I have did have issues with FIOS and it was working for several months then stopped working properly. It kept having a random connection that was very annoying it could last seconds to even hours of no connection. It was only affecting my IMAC and not the Windows 2K Pro which was really odd. Found out I missed a very important update from Apple after some major work from me I got it updated and it ran for another 8 months. Then it drove me crazy with what you are talking about and working via Wireless for my sisters computer that had Vista and worked wired with Win 2K Pro. Thought of when it started and realized that by telling the ISP to upgrade my speed to 20MBs download and 5MB's upload. That is when it started so I had to fight with them and they looked it over, it was not provisioned correctly.

After that it worked but still had issues and had to deleted the plist from the Library that refers to the connection, sorry I am drawing a blank on the full name. Also had to trash the TCP/IP Preferences of course restart the IMAC and it will add the plist back along with the rest of the things needed.

Maybe some of this has been very helpful or at least given you some more things to try. That will help you narrow down where the issue is.

Remember to vote for best answer, thanks!





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Question regarding dropped internet connection that happens 20-50+ times a day?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment