Wednesday, September 18, 2013

How long a lead can i use with a network adapter?

best baby monitor long distance
 on Best Baby Monitors - Pregnancy - Baby Registry
best baby monitor long distance image



Paul


I can not get signal from my router in the back room but can about 20 meters/65 feet up the house so would i be able to run a 20 meter/65 feet usb cable with a network adapter attached to it and get signal that way. I am aware that high speed usb connections are limited to 5 meters/16 feet but i dont know if a network adapter is included in those limitations. If it could even give me half strength i would be happy at that or if you have any other solutions please feel free to voice them.....Thanks in advance


Answer
USB won't go that far.

Wireless signals are affected by many factors including wall density, electrical interference, directional antenna range, etc.

All of these factors will affect your actual wireless range. As wireless connection quality varies the connection speeds are renegotiated. The connection may start at 54 Mbps and end up at less than 20 Mbps.

Just because a particular wireless router works good at one location does not guarantee that it will have similar performance in a different location due to variance in the factors listed above.

You should try to centrally locate your wireless router or gateway up high and away from dense walls and electrical and 2.4 GHz wireless interference such as microwave ovens, cordless phones, baby monitors, etc.

There are solutions,

The best solution is to run a Ethernet cable to your router. Pre-assembled CAT5 Ethernet cables are relatively inexpensive. Ethernet can be run up to a maximum of 100 meters.

A good quality 50' CAT5e is about $9.50 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W26TIW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001W26TIW&linkCode=as2&tag=excharge-20

If it is not feasible to run cables you have other options such as powerline network adapters You plug one in by the router and one in the room where you need access and connect them to the devices with standard Ethernet patch cables. http://isp1.us/reviews/netgear-xavb2101-powerline-adapter/

The network signals are transmitted over your existing home electrical wiring which will not be affected by wireless interference.

However, if you need the wireless mobility there are various other ways to extend a Internet connection to areas with a weak wireless signal.

Devices such as wireless extenders that can expand your wireless range if need be. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YAYM06/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=excharge-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004YAYM06

The wireless range extender receives weak wireless signals and repeats them to extend the signal range to greater distances. Some models include 4 Ethernet ports in addition to the wireless radio.

Good Luck...

I have two questions about baby products?




drewbies_g


What is the best baby monitor? it doesn't have to be a long distance one or a video one but I was wondering if the type that detects breathing is a good idea. and how many bed sets should I have when my baby gets here? Thanks
When I say bed set I mean everything that would go on the crib when the baby is sleeping in it. not the bed in the bag thing. Sorry for not being clearer



Answer
The only time you would really need a monitor that detects breathing is if your baby is born with underdeveloped lungs or some sort of breathing troubles. I use the Fisher Price Sounds and Lights Monitor. It is very sensitive. I have the base on a dresser about 6 feet away from my sons crib and if I have the volume set at 4 I can hear him breathing. I keep the receiver on the night stand next to my bed and only need to keep the volume level at 2 to be woken up if he cries. I liked the fact that I could hear him breathing when he was a newborn. As for the bed sets I'm not quite sure what you mean by bed sets but I will take a guess. If you are referring to sheet sets for the crib then I would have at least 2 waterproof mattress covers and 3 sheets. You never know when you are going to have a diaper explosion and you don't want to have to wash sheets in the middle of the night. If you are asking how many beds you should have you will only need one crib. I used a bassinet for the first 3 months because they are smaller and help keep the baby more contained. Plus I wanted to have him in the same room with me. Congrats!

Just an FYI on the video monitors, I know that many people swear by them because you can keep an eye on the baby but due to FCC rules they must operate on an open bandwith meaning anyone with a certain type of video scanner can pick up on the frequency and see into your house. There was just a big deal on our local news about it. The report stood a few houses away and was able to tap into the monitors frequency and see everything that was going on in the baby's room. That's something to keep in mind when looking into a video monitor.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How long a lead can i use with a network adapter?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment