Sunday, February 2, 2014

My two months kid suffering from Branchial sinus disorder?




sriraja_sr


Dear doctors/Pediatrician surgeons,

Recently we found a hole below the neck.When we consulted doctor he told us this is called "Branchial sinus". He said that this has to go under surgery. But we suggested us to wait for 3 more months. I am very much worried, such 2 month small baby going under surgery make me worried. When i asked doctors, he says this is minimal and mild.No need to worry at all.

I request in this yahoo give me some kind of incite on this disorder
1. What is real cause of this disorder & can at be operated for infant also.?
2. How serious is this? will it effect my baby in future? what kind of precausions i should take care?
3. Can it be cured by medicines? or is surgery must?

thanks you all



Answer
Dear Member,

It appears that your baby may have a branchial cleft sinus, which is a developmental issue that is not all that uncommon in newborns. Up to 30% of congenital neck masses in babies are due to branchial cleft anomalies. While it is true that surgery is often required for definitive therapy, the actual disorder itself is benign.

What is a branchial cleft sinus? Although the wording is quite confusing, the principle is actually fairly simple. Believe it or not, all mammals resemble the early stages of fishes during very early gestation. In fact, very early on during development, humans have structures that resemble the gills seen in fish. However, we clearly donât have gills, so what is really going on? The process of going from a fertilized egg to a fully developed baby human is an extraordinarily complex process that has remained fairly conserved throughout many species.

In humans the head & neck area develops in a series of arches of tissue; however, between each arch lies a depression, much like a fissure or a pit. Normally, these will regress (as we donât quite walk around with gills) and disappear. However, occasionally, some of these small little holes will persist and create small cavities or tracts within the neck. By themselves, these sinuses, cysts, or tracts, are harmless. The problem is that they have a strong tendency to get infected. When that happens, because these sinuses are located fairly deep in the neck, there is the potential for an abscess to form that can interfere with the airway, breathing, and swallowing.

There are a variety of different types of branchial cleft cysts, sinuses, or tracts (fistulas). They are categorized depending on which cleft is causing the problem; thus there are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th branchial cleft anomalies. By far, the most common one is the 2nd branchial cleft cyst or sinus, which is probably what your child has. These cysts or sinuses can be fairly superficial or very deeply located within the neck. Your doctor may want to obtain some imaging, such as a CT scan, to investigate this further. Depending on the type of cyst, your doctor may recommend excision as soon as possible versus within 2-3 years.

Currently, there is much debate regarding when is the best time to perform surgery for this problem; some proponents of doing surgery right away claim that this will remove the sinus or cyst before it gets infected and becomes much more problematic. Those in favor of waiting 2-3 years to perform the surgery claim that neck surgery in infants is potentially more dangerous. Regardless, surgeries are successfully performed commonly in infants & toddlers to remove such cysts. Your best bet is to sit down with your doctor and discuss your concerns regarding the surgery; let him/her explain to you how deep the sinus is and exactly what the surgery would entail. No surgery is free of possible risks and complications, and any surgeon that fails to cover them in detail is not facilitating informed consent by the patientâs parents.
Another possible alternative is to seek the opinion of a second pediatric head & neck surgeon. Often, surgeons can have different views on how to best manage the same disorder because of differences they have received during their training. Find out if they also recommend surgery at such an early point or if they would prefer to monitor and wait. There is no need to rush into a decision, consider all aspects of this, including the benefits & risks.

Fortunately, you may rest assured that this problem is often easily treated with surgery and does not represent anything that would prevent your child from developing into a beautiful, healthy, and fully functional individual. However, it is not something that can be treated with medicine, as the sinus tract will not disappear without surgery. Things to watch out for, which are very important, include looking out for any swelling or redness in the neck, as these may point to the development of an abscess.

Best of luck


References:

1.Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery, 5th ed. Chapter 45 âEpistaxisâ.
2.Acierno SP. âCongenital Cervical Cysts, Sinuses and Fistulaeâ. Otolaryngol Clin N Am 40 (2007) 161â176

your body after baby?




tulips7


I had children at ages 18 and 20 and lost the weight pretty much right away. Im now 30 and my son was born 8 days ago. I weighed 153 when he was born and now Im at 137. Im still wearing my maternity clothes and I hate the way I look. My belly still looks 4 months pregnant. I am breastfeeding and eating healthy. When did you lose the weight after baby and get back into your old clothes? How did you do it? Am I being too hard on myself? I have a great pilates video but I was told not to do it before 6 weeks. Thanks everybody :)
I was 120 before I got pregnant and would like to get back to that weight



Answer
Okay...I only started five Mondays ago and All I do is walk one hour every morning. I wear a calorie counter monitor to loose weight by the numbers. I have already lost two pant size and 27 pounds. I am a woman and have three kids and this is the method I use when I gain weight.. I am now at a size two and everyone is always amazed that I have had three kids. This is what I do below when I throw on a few extra pounds. It always works..No diet pills, no energy drinks..just me walking and getting the water I need. Of course I watch what I eat and the Lean Cuisine meals are great for that since the calories per box are 180 to 380 per box. Just make sure you eat healthy every three to four hours so your body will perform at its max.


Here it is:

Helpful Tips for weight loss:

1)A good way to loose weight is to use a calorie counter watch

Keep to a 1,200 food intake

Add 1,200 plus 3,500 (equals one pound of fat) ...and that is the total amount of calories you need to burn each day. Its actually really easy once you start watching the numbers and it doesn't seem like work or exercise. Its just a matter of changing the way you think about loosing weight.

I use this method when i gain some pounds. The first time I did this I went from 168 to 127

2) Most people do not get enough water in their system. Water is your body's principal chemical component, comprising, on average

Title Post: My two months kid suffering from Branchial sinus disorder?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment