Thursday, February 6, 2014

Video baby monitor with ip capabilities?




Jack


Twin baby girls on the way and my wife and I are looking for a video baby monitor. I would happily throw down some more dough if they made a video baby monitor with ip capabilities so I can watch them at work. I would buy just a good ip camera but I cant find anything that can link a wireless handset to it. If there are any solutions without having both a monitor and then a separate camera please let me know. Thanks.
The ip setup isnt the big deal. The problem is that we'd like to set up a portable monitor (as seen with regular vid baby monitors) to use around the house. The home portable monitor would be the primary use, while the ip settings will be my selfish way to still be with all three of my girls =)~... Let me know if theres means to accomplish =) thanks.



Answer
I have heard of a friend-of-friend who uses the following setup as a dog monitor (to watch the dog from home via webcam) which might work for you:

1. wireless IP camera setup to view whatever you're after,
2. create a skype account to run at home,
3. set the skype account to use the IP camera for video calls and
4. set the skype account to auto-answer incoming video calls.

he can then video-call from his own skype account at work to the dog's account and see what's going on throughout the day. and the camera can be moved to a new location without moving the computer.

the catch is, you can't operate the panning of the IP camera via skype. if you need this, perhaps something like Team Viewer might be better - it's a remote desktop app free for non-commercial use, that will let you remote in to your home computer and access the IP camera controls that way (Team Viewer is REAL easy to use).

for your case, I suppose you'd want sound as well, so seek out an IP camera with mic (if you want to hear them) or with both mic and speakers (if you want them to hear you too).

**Edit** Oh, I see what you mean - you want a portable receiver unit with a screen to relay the video to. I had a poke around and came up with not alot.

I can find wireless cameras with receivers (usually 4 cams + 1 receiver) - ie. glorified baby monitors,
and I can find a couple of iPhone apps to receive a signal from an IP Camera (see links below), but no IP Camera portable receiver.

Can anyone suggest a good room monitor for my senior dad?




Mary B


I am now at home caring for my 80-something parents. I have a small garage apartment at one end of the house, my dad's bedroom is at the other (about 100 feet from the apartment's bedroom). Is there a baby monitor that has a strong enough signal to reach 100 feet? My dad is at the point that he sometimes forgets to put his oxygen on and has fallen some in the last 6 months. I would feel better if I could "keep an eye on him", so to speak. Can anyone offer any suggestions on this?


Answer
first of all you need to get with some support group, and learn that you can't be there every second of every day to be there for your parents, and therefore you take things as they occur. While I remember a home had a baby monitor (audio) where I did HHA work, I'm wondering if one of those things you hang around your neck and press the button when you need help wouldn't be a better thing. While younger people would use cell phones and keep them on their person I don't know an elder person would remember which button to push. There is something in our area that allows you to watch every room in your house from your cellphone, and even if you are at the office you can talk with someone who is buzzing at your home's front door. My first instinct would be something like this would be better. There's always skype too but the computer would have to be on all day and only in one room. Talk with a knowledgeable electronics tech in an electronics store and ask a lot of questions about what's available.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Video baby monitor with ip capabilities?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment