Friday, May 17, 2013

What is it like for your labor to be induced?

Q. This is my first child and their going to induce me and i wanna know what there gunna do

A. First off, congratulations :]! I was in the same boat you are...I gave birth to my daughter (my first child) a little over a week ago on 07/09/2012.

I was at 41+3 weeks, and was planning on just waiting out the rest of my pregnancy. I had an appointment that day and my doctor advised me that waiting any longer wasn't really going to help anything. I ended up agreeing to be induced and, surprisingly enough, he gave me a script to get induced the same day.

We got to the hospital and after a change of clothes and about 30 minutes of questions, the nurse inserted the IV into my arm and drew some blood. She then hooked up the Pitocin and the bag of saline. I asked her if I could walk around and use the restroom, and she said I could until the doctor broke my water. She started the machine at 12:00pm and left my partner and I alone for a while.

I was dilated to 3cm and 100% effaced before we got to the hospital (favorable for an induction, my doctor told me), so it only took about 30 minutes for me to start feeling contractions.
I'd never really experienced any significant pain before, including menstrual cramps which I've heard are comparable, but a lot worse, so I was really scared and nervous. For the first hour of labor I sat and stared at the clock waiting for the "excruciating pain" of an induced labor's contractions, even though my mindset to get through it with no drugs and whatnot was fear = pain. I eventually got over the fear, thankfully, when I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

My doctor broke my water in the middle of the next 3 hours. It didn't hurt, but was strange...like not being able to stop peeing. The nurse put a huge towel in-between my legs, and left my partner and I alone again. She'd come in randomly through the whole process to check the monitors and change the level of the Pitocin if the contractions were right after the other, or if they weren't coming close enough. Also, to move the fetal monitors around when the baby moved...which happened frequently.
The first time they checked my dilation was 5 hours into my labor. I had went from 3 to 7cm. Dilating from 9 to 10cm was the only significantly painful part.
It felt like I had to make a bowel movement every time I had a contraction, so the nurse checked me and I was dilated to 10. Pushing only lasted about 30 minutes and didn't hurt at all--it actually felt good to be able to push against the pressure. It only stung a bit when her head crowned, which lasted like a minute. One more push and Shaelin was born at 7:52pm--7lbs 4oz, 21in long. :]
Both she and I were totally healthy, no complications. The nurses rubbed on my uterus a few minutes later, and the doctor asked me to push once, letting the EMT student that was watching my labor guide the placenta out. It didn't hurt, it just felt weird. If my partner hadn't commented that it looked interesting, and the nurses hadn't been rubbing my abdomen, I probably wouldn't have noticed...I was too busy gawking at my baby.

I only had the requisite hemorrhoids which weren't even that bad (take the stool softeners they give you afterwards though), and 2 grazes on either side of the inner labia--one was 2cm and the other was 1.5. Both grazes required a few stitches, which didn't hurt because my doctor used Lidocane. The doctor was massaging and pulling downward on the outside of my vagina during the pushing stage and I think that's what helped me to not tear on the outside. The nurse unhooked me after the 2 hour recovery period after checking if my bleeding was okay. I then went to a recovery room and took a shower (the nurse told my partner to sit in the bathroom while I showered in case I got dizzy from all the previous blood loss)...one of the best of my life. And that's it: my induction story.

The moral, so to speak, of my intensely long story is DON'T let everyone's horror stories about labor and induction get to you. Everybody's labor is different, so go in there expecting nothing and anticipating everything. Keep your mind open. Inductions don't always last 1-2 days, are excruciating without the epidural, almost always end in an emergency c-section, and are even more horrible for your first child. Mine was a 7hrs and 52 minutes from start to finish, and I used no pain medication whatsoever...I didn't even go to birthing classes. I didn't scream, vomit, damn my partner to hell or crush his hand, curse, or cry. You don't forget the pain, unlike everyone says. You don't remember it, though, either. It's more like a vague memory. But it definitely is worth it.

I wish you the best of luck with your labor and delivery, and a happy and healthy mother and baby. :]





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is it like for your labor to be induced?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment