Friday, October 4, 2013

Video baby monitor with ip capabilities?

best baby monitor video iphone
 on Best Baby Monitor iPhone App Review Best Baby Monitor Update Brings ...
best baby monitor video iphone image



Jack


Twin baby girls on the way and my wife and I are looking for a video baby monitor. I would happily throw down some more dough if they made a video baby monitor with ip capabilities so I can watch them at work. I would buy just a good ip camera but I cant find anything that can link a wireless handset to it. If there are any solutions without having both a monitor and then a separate camera please let me know. Thanks.
The ip setup isnt the big deal. The problem is that we'd like to set up a portable monitor (as seen with regular vid baby monitors) to use around the house. The home portable monitor would be the primary use, while the ip settings will be my selfish way to still be with all three of my girls =)~... Let me know if theres means to accomplish =) thanks.



Answer
I have heard of a friend-of-friend who uses the following setup as a dog monitor (to watch the dog from home via webcam) which might work for you:

1. wireless IP camera setup to view whatever you're after,
2. create a skype account to run at home,
3. set the skype account to use the IP camera for video calls and
4. set the skype account to auto-answer incoming video calls.

he can then video-call from his own skype account at work to the dog's account and see what's going on throughout the day. and the camera can be moved to a new location without moving the computer.

the catch is, you can't operate the panning of the IP camera via skype. if you need this, perhaps something like Team Viewer might be better - it's a remote desktop app free for non-commercial use, that will let you remote in to your home computer and access the IP camera controls that way (Team Viewer is REAL easy to use).

for your case, I suppose you'd want sound as well, so seek out an IP camera with mic (if you want to hear them) or with both mic and speakers (if you want them to hear you too).

**Edit** Oh, I see what you mean - you want a portable receiver unit with a screen to relay the video to. I had a poke around and came up with not alot.

I can find wireless cameras with receivers (usually 4 cams + 1 receiver) - ie. glorified baby monitors,
and I can find a couple of iPhone apps to receive a signal from an IP Camera (see links below), but no IP Camera portable receiver.

Why is my wifi internet so slow? (Tricky issue) need professional!?




The Empire


This is your ordinary problem so please read everything before commenting.

Background: I bought a new router because my previous router was outdated. The new router is called Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router. It worked great at first and I was able to get the 20gb that I pay my internet provider for. (time warner) Around 11 days later it suddenly dropped in speed. It went down to 1.75 download speed after several speed test it kept going from 1.1 - 1.6.
I thought the issue was with Time Warner so I called them and had them come to my home. The guy did some test and said the modem is working fine (at first I was told my modem was offline) later on he told me the only thing he could think of is that someone in our apartment complex bought something new and that was interfering with our wifi.

I went and returned the router and got another one that was the same brand. (just to rule out a malfunctioning router.) So I ran the speed test and at first it was still 1.1gb I ran it once more and it was 6.30. So obviously I'm still am not getting even half of what I pay for.
---------------------------------------------------

Now some information that may help:

Yes I have a wireless phone that is connected to the modem BUT for 10-11 days it was working perfect with the phone in the same room. So I'm pretty sure it's not the phone.

Typically we have 3 computers connected to the internet, an xbox 360, and an iphone 5. I'm also pretty sure the amount of things connected is not a problem because for those 10-11 days I was still getting 17 - 20+gb,

I have a 2011 alien ware laptop and a old dell laptop and they both get crappy connection. So we can rule out it being a computers fault.

I also asked at best buy if there was anything I could buy that would help protect my router form interference and they said no.

Yes I have a password on my wifi.

Yes I have gone through every channel in my wifi I think it goes from 1 - 11. STILL extremely slow!

I think I covered everything. I asked several people/professionals and they seemed to be stumped. If you can please help me.

I really appreciate anyone who took the time to read through this and especially those who are able to help.
@Leonard From what I understand a better or more expensive router shouldn't matter because it would just give it a wider signal and be able to connect to more computers.

Plus the issue isn't my router or modem. Like I said several days ago my router was giving me 20gb and more than enough range.
@Dan when I connect to the modem I get 20gb and I can't move the router or modem any closer. And like I said before I shouldn't need to move it closer or change routers because it was working for over a week perfectly.



Answer
Best guess, poor WiFi connection.

To properly measure speed, you really need to use a Ethernet connection.

Disconnect the wireless router and connect a laptop or PC directly to the modem via Ethernet.

Reboot the PC or laptop so the modem can assign it a IP address. You should have Internet access.

Now go here http://speedtest.net and test your connection speed. If the speed is not what you are paying for then call Time Warner and complain.

Now, reconnect the router. The router port labeled "WAN" or "Internet" should connect to the modem via a standard Ethernet patch cable.

Repeat the test above after connecting your PC or laptop via Ethernet to one of the router's LAN ports.

If the speed via a Ethernet connection to the router was good, try a wireless connection.

Remember, your Internet bandwidth is shared among all of the users of your home network via your router. So any bandwidth others are using will be deducted from the total WAN (Internet) bandwidth that is available to you.

That being said,

For stationary devices I recommend Ethernet connections, however this is impractical for devices such as tablets, iPods, cell phones, etc.

Wireless signals are affected by many factors including distance, wall density, electrical interference, directional antenna range, etc.

All of these factors will affect your actual wireless range. As wireless connection quality varies the connection speeds are renegotiated. The WLAN connection may start at 150 Mbps and end up at less than 10 Mbps or drop entirely.

Just because a particular wireless router model works good at one location does not guarantee that it will have similar performance in a different location due to variances in the factors listed above.

You should try to centrally locate your wireless router or gateway up high and away from dense walls and electrical and 2.4 GHz wireless interference such as microwave ovens, cordless phones, baby monitors, etc.

You can also move your WiFi device closer to the wireless router to get a stronger WiFi signal.

If you still have a weak wireless signal you can either get a wireless extender or a wireless adapter with better range for your WiFi device.

Wireless adapters come in many types and sizes, you may want a high power USB model with external antennas. http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&keywords=high%20power%20wireless%20adapter&linkCode=ur2&qid=1374458138&rh=n%3A13983791%2Ck%3Ahigh%20power%20wireless%20adapter%2Cp_72%3A2661618011&rnid=2941120011&tag=excharge-20

Devices such as wireless extenders can expand your wireless range. The wireless range extender receives weak wireless signals and repeats them to extend the signal range to greater distances.

Here are the two most popular highly rated models on Amazon.

Securifi Almond - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087NZ31S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0087NZ31S&linkCode=as2&tag=excharge-20

Netgear Universal WN3000RP - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YAYM06/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004YAYM06&linkCode=as2&tag=excharge-20

For serious gaming or video streaming your best bet is a direct Ethernet connection. Ethernet is unaffected by wireless interference and will give you a rock solid, stable network connection.

If it is not feasible to run Ethernet cable your next best option is to use powerline network adapters. I wrote a review here: http://isp1.us/reviews/netgear-xavb2101-powerline-adapter/

You plug one in by your router and one in the room where you need access and connect them to the devices with standard Ethernet patch cables. The network signals are transmitted over your existing home electrical wiring which will not be affected by wireless interference. There is still overhead in the connection but it is much more stable than WiFi.

Good Luck...




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Video baby monitor with ip capabilities?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment