Monday, February 17, 2014

If anyone has read/written a story/novel set in 80s or just knows about the 80s, please answer?




Ryssa


I'm writing a story that takes place in the 80s. Here are some questions.

What was the fashion like? (That includes hair, jewelry, and clothing)
What was the music like? (Artists and general genres)
What was out back then? (Computers, phones, stuff like that. Technology)

Those are just some questions. I know I make it sound like it was a long time ago, but I'm fifteen and living in 2011. I'm not gonna know a bunch about the 80s. I know jean jackets were cool, I think Grateful Dead were cool (not sure. My mom grew up in the 80s, but she hasn't told me a whole lot about it). I'm not sure what the phones were like and stuff like that. Thanks for the help!
PS story takes place in 1988



Answer
Yeah, that's a BIG question.

Regarding technology, the biggest thing to think about is the lack of convenience and accessibility to information that we have today. If you needed a phone number or an address to a business, you had to look it up in the phone book (or call Information, which cost money). If you wanted a specific product, you had to know exactly which store to go to buy it, or call around to different places to see if they had it. If I wanted to know more about a particular topic, I had to go look it up in one of our reference books, or wait until I could go to either the school library or the public library. And we were more or less blissfully free of other people's opinions. Think about how many Internet comments you read on a weekly basis, how many debates you see online, how many dumb opinions and comments you read on Facebook or Twitter -- in the 80s it was very easy to avoid people's one-off remarks and ridiculous opinions!

(Then again, it seemed like people also got together in person more to talk, so not all dumb comments were unavoidable.)

I remember sitting around my room in the summer waiting for my favorite songs to come on the radio ... so that I could rush to hit "record" on my tape player to record the song onto a cassette. And also bugging my dad to let me learn how to program the VCR so that I could record my favorite TV shows. But you had to make sure you had a working cassette handy to do that, and you didn't want to tape over that show from last week you hadn't watched yet.

I was into the Internet and e-mail really, really early (like, early 90s), but the vast majority of people were not, so it was hard to stay in touch with people if you were quiet like me. I would always try to snail-mail my friends from summer camp, but we'd always wind up losing touch. Sometimes I think about how many of those summer camp friends I'd still know if there'd been a way to keep in touch with them online in the late 80s.

Oh, and as for phones, we had three in the house -- two corded phones and one cordless phone. The cordless phone had terribly staticky reception sometimes, and would pick up noise from my neighbor's baby monitor. I didn't know anyone who had a mobile phone until 1991, and that was a phone installed in my best friend's dad's car.

A lot of people didn't have computers at home until the early or mid 90s. If you did have one at home in the late 80s, it likely had a very slow modem or none at all. Our 80s computer had a word processing program and some games (Oregon Trail was my favorite! I was always dying of dysentery). But it couldn't play music or video, and there was no Web until 1994, so Internet stuff was confined to local BBS, IRC (Internet Relay Chat), and Usenet... basically, things that were text-only (and only a small subset of geeks would have been using those things in the late 80s).

Music was all over the map -- pop, New Wave, metal, rap, etc. You will want to do some research on 80s music in general, decide what your characters are into, and then research that genre further.

Fashion, too, was a little bit of everything. Lots of girls had BIG hair, with poofy bangs. And it was entirely acceptable to wear a side ponytail held by a big neon scrunchie. I remember wearing a lot of long t-shirts (with the sleeves rolled up, leggings, and ballet flats. And, yeah, I had a stonewashed jean jacket. Do a Google image search or see if your parents' friends have Facebook pics from the 80s... that'll teach you a lot more than I can describe right now.

Does my kitten from the humane society have to be neutered?If so is there any way I can get out of it?







Please help I don't want my 2 month old kitten yo be neutered!!!!!! What if he wants to be a father someday?!?!?The neutering is next Friday August 19 2011. PLEASE HDLP I REALY DON'T WANT TO NEUTER HIM I DON'T FEEL GOOD DOING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
:(. :(. :(. :(. :(. :(. :( :(



Answer
NO!!!! He MUST be NEUTERED!!!!!! This is one of many reasons why...
http://www.americanhumane.org/animals/stop-animal-abuse/fact-sheets/animal-shelter-euthanasia.html
For every home you find for a kitten, one is taken away from another and sadly it ends up euthanized. Have you ever heard of Born to Die? Well thousands upon thousands of perfectly adoptable kittens are euthanized because there is simply not enough homes that are willing to adopt. :'(

Feline Neutering Benefits Cat Health and Behavior (Health Benefits, etc continued on the link)
The benefits of feline neutering include a less aggressive and more human oriented cat. Unless you are planning on building a registered breeding program, all people who adopt cats should make spaying or neutering a top priority. There is no doubt that kittens are among the cutest baby animals around. But being the cutest kitten in the alley doesnât mean every kitten gets a proper home. For cat lovers, there is no greater sadness than to come across a batch of abandon kittens suffering from lack of cat care, nutrition and a number of health problems. You canât take them all into your home. Your effort to find homes fails. The trip to the shelter leaves you with unforgettable grief because you know the inevitable outcome. http://www.coolest-cat-care.com/feline-neutering.html

Top 10 Reasons to Spay or Neuter Your Pet (Refers to both cats and dogs)
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/spayneuter/spay-neuter-top-ten.aspx
Your female pet will live a longer, healthier life.
Spaying helps prevent uterine infections and breast cancer, which is fatal in about 50 percent of dogs and 90 percent of cats. Spaying your pet before her first heat offers the best protection from these diseases.

Neutering provides major health benefits for your male.
Besides preventing unwanted litters, neutering your male companion prevents testicular cancer, if done before six months of age.

Your spayed female won't go into heat.
While cycles can vary, female felines usually go into heat four to five days every three weeks during breeding season. In an effort to advertise for mates, they'll yowl and urinate more frequentlyâsometimes all over the house!

Your male dog won't want to roam away from home.
An intact male will do just about anything to find a mate! That includes digging his way under the

Title Post: If anyone has read/written a story/novel set in 80s or just knows about the 80s, please answer?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment