Tuesday, April 29, 2014

baby sleeping with mothers shirt?

Q. If I were to put my shirt that I had been wearing (to smell like me) next to my baby when she's sleeping, would she sleep more sound like when she does when she's on my chest? Any other tips would be great!
Ps. I did hear this on Grey's Anatomy. and yes I know about SIDS (what questioning parent doesn't?) I know loose things are dangerous, I'm not stupid. I was just wondering if it actually helped or not.


Answer
I would lay baby on top of it, don't drape it around her in case she bunches it all up around her nose. Also if you don't have one of those teddy bears that has a heart beat sound or a music/crib activity center with that sound, get a cheap clock that ticks, I tried, after a few nights of listening to the one in my boys room tick in the monitor all night, to remove it and he didn't sleep nearly as well. Also the Fisher Price Aquarium has a wave noise that sounds a lot like the shushing you do to the baby when it's crying and I find that really helps my boy when fussy. Now that I have put a heater in his room (winter is coming boo hoo) the white noise it generates when running puts him right to sleep. It's great! I wish I had put this in his room at 5 weeks old when he started sleeping in there LOL.

One tip I will give you is don't let baby get too used to falling asleep in your arms. As soon as the eyes start drooping, place baby down where you want her to sleep. This way she knows where she is so if she should only half wake, she won't necessarily wake up all the way because she is scared and doesn't know where she is. Be consistent on where baby sleeps, make day and night two different places for now to help baby keep days and nights straight. Daytime sleeping should be someplace with bright lights, noise, lots of activity around so she doesn't sleep too soundly, night time should be quiet and dark to encourage deep sleep for long periods of time. Don't worry, if baby needs sleep during the day it's amazing what they can sleep through! Once baby gets a solid routine (don't think schedule as it will never happen at the same time but there will be a definite pattern to your day) then you can slowly start getting her to nap in her night time place.

This is just what has been working relatively ok for me. A solid bedtime routine helps as well. Where you feed her just before bedtime and during her nighttime feedings should be different than the daytime feedings. Get her used to having a bath (if it makes her relaxed and sleepy, that didn't work for me, it just energizes my guy), changing into her pj's, having her bedtime bottle (I have a green bottle I try to use every night so that when he sees the different bottle he knows it's the bedtime bottle), place her into the crib and keep her calm by standing there, hand on chest, shushing her if she fusses. Once calm, walk away even if not asleep. Let the baby fuss, if she starts to cry go in and try to soothe her without picking her up. If she goes hysterical then pick her up (that's a given), calm her and put her back. It took about 2-3 nights of real fussing until he realized that this was where he was sleeping from now on, after that it just got easier. Now at 12 weeks, most nights (not all), I can lay him down with eyes wide open and with no suckie or music he will have himself asleep in 10 minutes or less, no crying (he does talk to himself though sometimes, it's so cute!!). Then again there is the odd night where he just doesn't want to go to bed (slept too much during day or routine just completely out of whack) and then I just bring him back down, let him play until he is tired and try again when he is ready. Or I'll let him sleep with me the odd time if he really doesn't want to settle and I need to sleep. Something about seeing me with my eyes closed seems to give him the hint that he should go to sleep too.

Hope this helps! I have a 12 week old boy who is normally asleep by 9pm, wakes around 2 for a feeding, wakes at 5 for a feeding and we start our day between 7-8am. That's a routine I can live with! Hope your little girl is a good sleeper as well!

Does anyone have an Angelcare Baby Monitor from Bebe Sounds? How do you like it? How do you set it up?

Q. My friend gave me hers. I was wondering how long people use them. Also-what all does it monitor and how do you set it up? She did not have her booklet. Does it produce many false alarms>


Answer
I have that exact one! It's pretty good as long as you don't set it to detect motion. Every night we turned it to "sound and movement" it would go off and I'd RUN in there and he'd just be snoozing away breathing heartily. I don't know if it's cause mine was a hand me down as well or what.

We just use it for the sound now, and that fine.

You set it up by placing the pad under the mattress in the center, you run the cord directly down to the ground, not across and off the side. (did that make sense?) then the monitor has to be as far away from the crib as possible (maybe that's why we get false alarms, his room isn't very big) and you plug it in and you should be good to go.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: baby sleeping with mothers shirt?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment