Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Question about infant movement/breathing sensors?

Q. I just moved my 6-month old into her crib at night (she'd been in bed with us before that) and I'm a nervous wreck all night because I can't monitor her breathing.

I'm wondering about the infant movement sensors now and I want to know if it's worth it to purchase at this stage since my baby moves all over the place in her sleep. I place her at one end and by morning she's clear across the other end, curled up in the corner. Won't this set off the alarm all the time if she's not right on top of the sensor mat?

Please share your experiences and let me know if it works for your 6+ month old baby. Thanks!


Answer
The risk of SIDS at 6 months old has decreased so much. If your baby moves around a lot then no its not worth it. It might go off in the middle of night and freak you out. We have used ours since my son was about 2 months and I am thinking about putting it away since he can now roll in both directions.Yes it will set off the alarm.

Ours beeped last night like it was about to go off. It freaked me out I ran into the room and my son was clear across the crib. I just shut it off.

My 2 month old refuses to sleep on his back. Any advice?




sweet_octo


I tried tricking him into sleeping on his back by letting him sleeping in my arms for 20-30 mins before laying him down. He'll sleep for a max of 2 hours before realizing he's on his back and wake up screaming. I've tried everything- swing/carseat/boppy, placing him on his side with a towel or blanket infront and behind him, I even bought a foam to make him feel snug, and giving him a little cereal. He rolled over at 2 days old and again at a week old and hasn't stopped since. I think placing the blankets and foam makes him feel restricted. I can place him on his back oneway only to find him facing the oppisite way when I check on him. I even found him in the corner of the bed on his stomach with one arm hanging off. When he's on his stomach I roll him back over onto his back only to him awaking up screaming, refusing to go back to sleep no matter how tired he is. I've read all the articles on SIDs and done the research. Is there anything I haven't tried that may work? Help
Sorry, I worded my question wrong. And, as unbelieveable as it may sound, yes my baby did roll over at 2 days and also a week old. Even the nurse couldn't believe her eyes when he was in the hospital for jaundice.



Answer
My son had jaundice when he was born and had to stay in the hospital after I was discharged for 3 days. They had him under the special light, on his tummy, in just a diaper pretty much constantly for those 3 days except for feedings. Needless to say, once we brought him home from the hospital, he HATED to be swaddled and would not stay asleep on his back. We made the decision to let him sleep on his tummy. He took a pacifier (shown to help prevent SIDS) and just made sure there was no loose bedding or anything. He was born in the Winter so those blanket sleepers worked great instead of a blanket.

My son is a healthy 21 month old even though he didn't sleep on his back like he was "supposed to." Babies usually start rolling over at 4 months anyway and some will roll on to their tummies no matter how you put them to sleep. I'm sure your baby will be fine! Just make sure there are no pillows or animals in the bed and have a monitor just in case. If you're really worried, they have a baby monitor that has a sensor mat you put under the bedding, if it detects no movement or breathing for 10 seconds, an alarm will beep! Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Question about infant movement/breathing sensors?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment