Wednesday, March 26, 2014

help my newborn has an apnea monitor?







My daughter is 10 days old and on an apnea monitor. She has only been home for three days, she was born at 36 wks and spent the first week in a children's hospital because she inhaled fluid during delivery. There were no problems caused by this she was just on an antibiotic for seven days then sent home. She is on the monitor because in 2002 I had a little boy that passed away in his sleep when he was two months old. I am sure the monitor is the best thing for her and it does easy my mind. However, the monitor has gone off several times since we have been home. She seems to be fine every time it goes off. I called her nurse and he said it sometimes does just go off. We have only been home for three days and I'd say it went off about 20 times since we brought her home. It drives me crazy, my heart stops every time I hear it go off. Her father and I are so afraid to leave her side. I'm afraid to be home alone with her because I just panic when I hear it. Her father is calmer than I am and just goes over to her and picks her up and makes sure she is ok. I always want to run to the phone and call someone. I am so afraid she will be unresponsive every time I hear it. Does anyone else have a newborn on an apnea monitor that goes off all the time? And how do you deal with it? How long do they usually keep newborns on the monitors? I know its whats best for her and I'd be going even crazier if she didnt have it. I am just so afraid of her and the monitor right now and she has only had it for three days I know we still have a long way to go.


Answer
My daughter (3rd child) has had her apnea monitor for 20 months now. We are just about to give it up. What brand is yours? We use the Babysense ll. The monitor we use does go off from time to time, and we do the following checklist:

1. Check all connections. Sometimes if the cords aren't plugged into the alarm it will go off continuously because the alarm box is not recieving any electronic signals.

2. Check baby has not rolled off off sensor pads. (Obviously in your case this is not an issue)

3. Check there are the required amount of sensor pads being used at a time. For a newborn you use one. For an older baby who moves around (rolls/crawls etc) use two. That way if they roll off of one it won't go off.

4. Check batteries. Make sure you use alkaline batteries.

5. Check the sensor pad is positioned on a flat surface.

I'm not sure in your case, but my alarm also goes off if the breathing rate drops below a certain rate, and also obviously if the alarm box recieves no movement signals

I have noticed if I have a fan on in the room the monitor picks that up as movement, so when I pick the baby OUT of her cot the alarm WONT sound. Check that aswell if you have a fan or airconditioner in your room. To test this, turn your fan/airconditioner on without the baby in the cot. If the alarm does not sound it is picking up on the air flow as 'movement'.

The fact your baby is so young may mean she has an errattic breathing pattern. If that is the case it should get better over time. In the meantime, to be thorough, document times and dates of the alarms, and also how your baby reacted to you picking her up etc and present to your peadiatrician.Thats what I had to do. They will not give a sleep study here in Australia without that. My 20mth old has a sleep condition (found through using the monitor) that was only jusyt diagnosed. I am so glad I brought the alarm.. who knows.,.

Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to ask. The first thing I did before disturbing my baby's sleep and turning off the alarm was to check the colour of her lips and nose. If they look normal she is more than likely OK :)

ANYONE USE THIS FOR THEIR baby? i hear its good?




Xtra goodi


http://store.babycenter.com/product/angelcare+movement+sensor+-+sound+monitor.do?search=basic&keyword=Angelcare&sortby=shortdesc&asc=true&page=1

its suppose to beep if your baby doesnt move for 20 seconds or more? i hear it gives peace of mind



Answer
My sister-in-law had one.
Very good if you are nervous, it goes off if baby has not took a breath for 20 secs not moved for 20 secs. My niece had stopped breathing twice when she was 4 days old and then at 3 weeks old due to a cold! My sister was a complete mess cos she was so frightened to put her down so the health visitor got her one on loan. She had a similar one for every child she had after that, good job really, it saved my nephew when he was 7 weeks old as he stopped breathing.
I am, thankfully, never experienced it but if i did, i know i would buy one! Reagrdless how much it cost if it saved my baby. (or my mental state)
When baby is old enough to move the chance of cot death is greatly reduced anyway. It still happens, dont get me wrong but most cot death tends to happen in very small babies, the majority of.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: help my newborn has an apnea monitor?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment