Friday, March 28, 2014

I'm not sure which baby monitor to get? First time mum and I worry a lot, please help!?




dizzi


I'm due in October and am just looking for a baby monitor. I have read that the Tommee Tippee and Angelcare (not sure which models) both with sensor pads, and the BT 150 are good. I'm not sure about the sensor pads, I have heard they give a lot of false alarms, plus I don't want to be too paranoid. I know they can be useful for premature babies or those with health conditions, but what about full term healthy babies, is there any need?
Thanks in advance for your help.



Answer
If you are already a worrier the more things your monitor "checks", the more things you're going to worry about. When the breathing monitor isn't going off you'll wonder if it's really working, with video you'll spend your day watching the monitor.

I would suggest a good quality audio monitor with 2 receivers. What will work best for you depends on where you live, in an apartment complex, a house, near an airport...etc.

If you don't have to worry about interference then a model like the Fisher Price "Lights and Sounds" is a great choice. Always rated highly and about $40. It's the model I've used for over 3 years with no problems. If intereference could be a problem, skip the 900 MHz models and go with one in the 2.45 a 2.54 GHz range. The prices are almost the same, and with the 2.xx GHz models you're pretty much guaranteed no interference.

A couple of good choices in that range are the First Years "True Choice digital monitor" ($80), and the Graco "I-vibe" ($90). Both have 2 receivers so you can leave one in your bedroom, and have one to carry around.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Are plain, old baby monitors adequate?




Mariposa


I'm being a bit proactive and have decided to educate myself on all these baby gadgets. I had a pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage, so even though I was only pregnant a short time, I remember how stressed I was trying to figure out all of this stuff.
So my question is... I thought baby monitors were a dime a dozen. Never knew there were motion sensors, 49 mhz and 900 mhz, video, laptop viewable, etc etc etc. The reviews saying how some mother's felt their babies lives were saved by the motion sensors got me into "paranoid-mommy-to-be" mode. When I was little, everyone had those Graco, lights when the baby makes noise versions. Does anyone find that these are perfectly adequate for their babies, or are the motion sensors/video models really a better choice? Keeping in mind that I'm trying to restrain myself from one day spending thousands of dollars on things a baby will use for a year. :)

Thank you!



Answer
I didn't use one - we live in an apartment, were never going to be that far from the baby, I'm skeptical about gagetry, and I had a sixth sense that alerted me whenever my little one had a hiccup in the next room.

If I'd had a big house I might have gotten a simple monitor, but I think a lot of these things are designed to separate you from your wallet ...and will surely rob you of more sleep than you can afford in general.

Just my $.02 - and I know how it feels to be prenatally paranoid. I'm sure I had plenty of my own issues although this wasn't one of mine. :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I'm not sure which baby monitor to get? First time mum and I worry a lot, please help!?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment