Tuesday, December 25, 2012

How common is SIDS and what can you do for prevention?

Q. My baby sleeps in his crib usually on his stomach and I have a baby breathing monitor. The midwife recommended that he sleep on his stomach and he can really get a good sleep that way. What can I do to prevent SIDS? If he sleeps on my top when we are on my bed, is it safe?
I am not asleep when he is on my top so I can't roll over him. He sleeps in his crib for the night.

I told the midwife that SIDS occurs more often in cases kids are put on their stomachs but she said that's just statistics and has nothing to do with SIDS. I don't know...

A. SIDS occurs in roughly 1 in 500 babies(http://www.faqs.org/faqs/misc-kids/sids/), but the rate actually depends on many factors, such as where you live, your lifestyle, your feeding methods, etc.

SIDS can occur up to one year of age, but the most common age for it to occur is between 2 and 4 months. After 4 months, the risk declines. After the 6-7th month, the likelihood of SIDS occurring is very low. It is more common in male babies than female babies.

There is a lot you can do to lower the risk of it occurring.

~don't smoke. AT ALL. Not even outside.

~put your baby to sleep on his back. If he won't sleep that way, you can compromise and put him on his side, using those wedges that keep the baby from rolling over. My first daughter could not sleep on her back due to severe reflux, so we put her on her side.

~don't use pillows, blankets, stuffed animals, or any soft bedding in his crib (or wherever he sleeps)

~don't dress him too warmly

~BREASTFEED. For every 87 babies that die of SIDS, only 3 breastfed babies die of SIDS. Reference: http://www.co.utah.ut.us/dept/healthwic/BreastFeed.asp

Personally, I would not put my baby to sleep on his/her stomach, especially if if they were not past the 4 month mark. If it was needed, I would put them on their side.

As for cosleeping, there is conflicting evidence out there as to whether it lowers or raises the risk of SIDS.

Many parent's beds have blankets and pillows and soft mattress pads, etc, that can raise the risk of SIDS, so cosleeping in that sense would definitely be riskier. However, if you make your bed "baby safe", then I would think that cosleeping would not put your baby at a higher risk and may actually reduce his risk of SIDS, as long as:
~you don't smoke
~your spouse doesn't smoke
~you don't sleep too heavily (as to notice if you roll into your baby's face
~your spouse doesn't sleep too heavily
~neither you nor your spouse are overweight/obese (studies have shown that cosleeping babies with overweight/obese parents are more likely to die of SIDS or be accidentally suffocated by their parents).

As for your son sleeping on top of you, I personally think it's fine, as long as he's on his back and there's no way he can roll off and be injured. If he's on his stomach, but you're awake and watching him the entire time, then that's okay too.

I coslept with both of my daughters, but I slept on my side, and they slept on their sides with their back up against my belly/chest. I would turn them over to nurse and then turn them back when they finished.


How old was your child when you stopped using a baby monitor?
Q. My oldest is 25 months (just turned 2) and I still have one in her room. She's my alarm clock. When she wakes up, I get up lol. I wouldn't hear her without the monitor.

A. We still have monitors in my kids' rooms with the receivers down in our family room. My son is 3, and my girls (who share a room) are 6 and 7. I know that we don't really need them anymore, but it's hard to hear the kids when we're downstairs. (Our bedroom is just down the hall from their bedrooms, so I don't use a monitor from my room.)

Honestly, I use the monitors mostly during the day so that I can hear if they start to argue and need me to run interference. ;-) It's also nice at night when the kids go to bed and we're still up so that we can hear if they need anything without them having to scream for us. We've talked about getting rid of them before, but the kids kinda use them as (one-way) intercoms now, so we've just left them.


How do i tell my significant other?
Q. I have always taken care of my body. Have always gone to the doctor regularly and have had regular pap smears, etc. I rarely get sick, have had the flu once in my life when i was 12. Now I am 24 with 2 kids. I was in a relationship for 6 1/2 years where i was emothionally and mentally abused and i finally left him when he had a child with another female.

I have now been involved with a new person for a while who has taken my kids in as his own. We have talked about marriage and the whole nine. I had recently had a miscarriage and I am now pregnant again, almost 5 months. Just a week ago I found out I had HPV (not HIV). I know I have to break the news to him asap, but how? The doctor said the baby should not be affected, but what affects could this have on my health, and his if he has been infected? Im not certain but i'm sure i must have contracted it from my ex, and it is just showing up. What should i do and what types of treatment are out there if I am really infected?

A. I believe it is about 80% of women by the time they are in their 50s have been infected with this virus. It is very common. Not all strains of this cause warts either. There are several types of HPV. Your doctor should have explained this to you. Men don't have any sypmtoms of this. How do you know you didn't contract it from your current boyfriend? Anyway, it's not such a big deal. You just need to monitor your yearly pap tests to be sure none turn abnormal. You are at higher risk for cervical cancer. Tell your boyfriend, and take care of yourself. There is no real "treatment" for it. It is a virus that stays with you and you can pass it on,,,,so,,,,safe sex!


Anyone familiar with the differences in Kawasaki disease and autism? Is one easily treated with meds vs the?
Q. other not? It sounds like J Travolta's son with a round the clock nanny, baby monitor and bathroom door that chimed when opened, he was either very sick or not safe on his own or both?

A. my daugher had kawasaki disease. it has nothing to do with autism. it is NOT characterized by seizures. it is a temporary condition characterized by vasculitis - which is basically an inflammation of veins and arteries. the sickness lasted in my daughter for about 2 weeks when she was three and then it was over. we've had to have her heart checked once a year for any abnormalities, but that is it... and her case was very very severe (she barely survived). and no, it is not easily treated. they basically treat the symptoms with a series of immune deficiency drugs and maybe some others (depending on the symptoms) and hope for the best, but cannot treat the cause since they don't know what that is.

autism as far as i know is a disorder that is not temporary like kawasaki. the things you're mentioning about the travoltas sounds more like worry over seizures or behavior (as with autism). they would do nothing in helping a kid who had had kawasaki.

the only thing that would apply to helping a kid who had kawasaki would be to have a constant heart monitor since the only known long term affects are heart defects from severe stress from the sickness at such a young age.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How common is SIDS and what can you do for prevention?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment