Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Is it bad to have baby's room upstairs while you sleep in the basement?

Q. My friend wanted me to get some other people's opinion....

Her husband and she sleep in the basement and her 8 month old son sleeps upstairs in his room. They keep all the doors and windows locked....the dog (a Chow) sleeps upstairs in the kitchen as well. And they have a video baby monitor.

Do you think it is unsafe?

A. No i think it's fine as long as they have considered all possible dangers and done something to prevent them i dont see a problem with that situation.


How often do multiples births work out?
Q. I was under the impression that having more than two babies at once was very dangerous and usually resulted in children with serious medical problems.

But lately I've been hearing about septuplets (7 babies) and octuplets (8 babies) born healthy. How common is this? What percentage of multiples births actually work out?

A. As far as octuplets born there has only been two sets and 1 died from the first set. I haven't heard too many sets of septuplets. It is very dangers the more babies you carry. Most doctors will advise selective reduction to ensure the babies you do keep will be carried as close to full term as possible to ensure the babies won't have issues such as blindness and lung issues. Women that high order multiples are put into the hospital very early for bed rest and are highly monitored.


My baby has a paralyzed vocal cord and can't make any sound. Any suggestions on products to use at night?
Q. I am looking for a product to use at night so I can know when my 6-week old son is moving even though I can't hear him. I want something that can go in the crib or something that can monitor him and notify me when he is moving so I can attend to him.

A. The only thing I can think of is those toys you can get that when bubs starts moving they play a song to help resettle the baby...not sure where you can get them

If you leave this question open for a bit (a couple of days) I'll do some research and also ask my collegues (I am a speech pathologist so I have some contacts that might know something) and I'll get back to you



EDIT....my understanding of the angel care monitor is that it alerts you if the baby is NOT moving/breathing....I had a similar monitor so I am assuming they are they same



EDIT....

Sorry, I haven't really been able to come up with much. I researched the toy I was talking about and I guess it's no surprise that it is voice activated so kinda useless for you. The other ideas some colleagues came up with included:

*** Having some sort of noise maker attached to bubs....would need to be something safe and attached in a way that it could not come off and cause any danger to bubs... something so that when bubs wriggles, it makes a noise....the con of this is that bubs might wiggle but not actually wake.

*** Co-sleeping as someone suggested.... either in your bed or in an arms reach style cosleeper.

*** similar to the noise maker idea.... having something crinkly under the sheet so that when bubs moves it makes a noise.


There are some products out there however they require intentional movements....good for when bubs is a bit older but right now, he is unable to intentionally push a button.

I hope that helps some and I'll continue to keep my ear out for anything that might work in your situation....good luck!


How can a tame out my baby Savannah Monitor?
Q. He/she i dont know what it is is a very agreesive animal always hissing hippping but no really snapping. only in her cage out of it is kinda the same but she is a little more tolorible but harldy at all, it is a very small lizzrd i would say about 10 inches. Any one wanna help me?

A. Time and patience.

A small animal like that is of course going to be terrified of something 10x the size of it and is going to defend itself.

If you havent done already, leave him completely alone in the tank for a week or so to settle in and start eating properly. If you have done, then just ignore that bit ;)

If you are afraid of getting bitten or whipped then wear thick gloves, pick up the monitor and hold him firmly so he cannot escape but not so much as to hurt him. After a while he will calm down in your grip; when he does put him back in his tank. Monitors are clever; this will teach him that flipping out will not get him back where he feels safe.

When i got my baby i sat in the bath (...not water) with him. There was no way he could escape - i sat very very still and let him wander about wherever her wanted. That way he could get used to my smell and my presence and know i wasnt going to hurt him.
Things like this take time and after a week or so of daily 'baths' and seeing me every morning and night to switch his lights on and off he started to settle and hiss less.

Just be patient - every day put the time in to handle him and eventually he will realise you are not going to hurt him. Dont be jumpy about things either; as you grow more confident so will he.

Do not hand feed either.
This will get the monitor to associate your hands directly with food and he is highly likely to bite you even if you dont have food.
I use tongs to feed mine; he associates the tongs with food and me with exploring time.


I've had him since he was a 6 inch whippy, hissy little gremlin, now he is 2ft+ and soft as anything!
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk282/danger_erin/Max-a-Million-1.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk282/danger_erin/SANY4438.jpg





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is it bad to have baby's room upstairs while you sleep in the basement?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment