Friday, December 28, 2012

Video baby monitor with ip capabilities?

Q. Twin baby girls on the way and my wife and I are looking for a video baby monitor. I would happily throw down some more dough if they made a video baby monitor with ip capabilities so I can watch them at work. I would buy just a good ip camera but I cant find anything that can link a wireless handset to it. If there are any solutions without having both a monitor and then a separate camera please let me know. Thanks.
The ip setup isnt the big deal. The problem is that we'd like to set up a portable monitor (as seen with regular vid baby monitors) to use around the house. The home portable monitor would be the primary use, while the ip settings will be my selfish way to still be with all three of my girls =)~... Let me know if theres means to accomplish =) thanks.

A. I have heard of a friend-of-friend who uses the following setup as a dog monitor (to watch the dog from home via webcam) which might work for you:

1. wireless IP camera setup to view whatever you're after,
2. create a skype account to run at home,
3. set the skype account to use the IP camera for video calls and
4. set the skype account to auto-answer incoming video calls.

he can then video-call from his own skype account at work to the dog's account and see what's going on throughout the day. and the camera can be moved to a new location without moving the computer.

the catch is, you can't operate the panning of the IP camera via skype. if you need this, perhaps something like Team Viewer might be better - it's a remote desktop app free for non-commercial use, that will let you remote in to your home computer and access the IP camera controls that way (Team Viewer is REAL easy to use).

for your case, I suppose you'd want sound as well, so seek out an IP camera with mic (if you want to hear them) or with both mic and speakers (if you want them to hear you too).

**Edit** Oh, I see what you mean - you want a portable receiver unit with a screen to relay the video to. I had a poke around and came up with not alot.

I can find wireless cameras with receivers (usually 4 cams + 1 receiver) - ie. glorified baby monitors,
and I can find a couple of iPhone apps to receive a signal from an IP Camera (see links below), but no IP Camera portable receiver.


Baby monitor with camera?
Q. I'm having my first child in December and my mom and I are looking at baby monitors and we found on that had a camera and shows you a live image of the baby. My mom was pretty impressed by this as they weren't around when I was a baby. But they are outrageously priced! I think she wants to get one for me anyway, as this is her first grandchild and my mom's the type to spend way too much. So I was wondering does anyone else have these? Worth the price? Are they any good?

A. I actually did this, but I used a wireless ip camera. When my son was 9 months old we had to move from a condo to an apartment with no washer/dryer hookup. So I had to leave the apartment to do the laundry a couple doors down and needed a way to see what my son was up to in between loads. I agree that the video monitor setups are very steep. And something worth noting is that every single one I've seen on shelves is not a secured network. So that video signal is open for others to view nearby. I use(d) a dlink IP cam that is networked securely to my home wireless network and accessible via smartphone. It cost about 30 bucks and 15 minutes of setup and I was up and going. I've had this setup for almost 3 years now and it's been helpful. I don't think I've had any memorable absences, but it's a nice piece of mind to make sure my son was sleeping safely when I had to leave the apartment for a moment.


Wireless multiple IP camera DVR for Baby Monitoring?
Q. I am potentially going to hire a nanny to watch my daugher for about 4-5 hours, 2x per week while my wife works. I want to wire the house with some cameras, but since I only rent, I want to use a wireless IP camera system. Ideally, it would have 4 to 6 cameras with at least one night vision camera, wireless IP connections, viewable anywhere via IP, and the ability to record the data streams to a hard drive. Does anyone have any good ideas of a relatively inexpensive system to put in place?

I've looked at the FOSCAM wireless IP camera (http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-Wireless-Camera-antennas-FI8918W/dp/B004UMN6VE/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326384639&sr=8-3-spell). I could buy 4 cameras, but I don't know how the recording works. I'd rather not have to setup a computer with their software to record the data streams. I'd rather procure an alternate DVR system that records automatically.

A. Sure - and one of these hidden cameras wont find it's way into your bedroom. :)

Look - VCR's are sub-standard def and they dont make inexpensive HD tape recorders. And a lot of people want to not only record - but be able to log into the home computer and see what is going on remotely. This means ... a computer.

Try checking out WOOT.COM . I occasionally see a wireless security camera system for a low price. (Look in the Community section for past woots).

Or contact your local spy-shop. They sometimes rent nanny-cams.


10 points to the best answer-I need to set up a webcam.Give me the best website for complete instructions.?
Q. Heres the kicker.I have a site for the camera thats secure,has electricity,but no phone or cable lines.My budget is maybe $5,000.00.thats plenty for soft-hardware,but not enough to run
cable or phone to this site.Is there a way around this?Thanx everyone!

A. How to install a wireless webcam
webcams are normally used for communication, and are so called because you access and manage them through your browser. That means you can log on and see people from virtually anywhere in the world. Some webcams even have motion detectors.

I wanted to use mine to watch my baby son while I work on my laptop in another room. I also wanted to be able to see him while I'm away on business, and in the future I might want to use the camera for home security.

I chose a D-Link DCS 2100* webcam. It comes with software that lets you archive video to your hard drive, as well as manage and monitor as many as 16 cameras. The camera connects either through an Ethernet cable or wirelessly. Since I have a wireless network, there's no need to add extra wiring to the house. But that doesn't mean I can just put it anywhere. The camera does need a power supply.

My desktop system is a PC I built late last year with an Intel® Pentium® D processor running Microsoft Windows XP*. I also have a laptop equipped with Intel® Centrino® Duo mobile technology. My husband has an HP notebook with an Intel® Pentium® III processor. Our wireless network runs on a Linksys* router.

Step by step
I began by following the webcam's installation instructions. The instructions told me to connect the wireless antenna and turn on the camera. At that point, my router was supposed to be able to see the camera. But it wasn't quite that easy.
Next, I tried connecting the camera directly to my router using an Ethernet cable. I reset the camera by inserting a paper clip into the reset hole on the back of the camera. This pushed down the button long enough for the LED lights on the front of the camera to recycle twice and a blinking green LED to come on. I then clicked the IP installer in the software and got a connection to the camera.
In the IP installer window, I saw the Media Access Control address of the camera. I clicked on it and I was redirected to my camera's IP address where I saw an image of the camera. Now I had to configure the camera.
I clicked on the configuration tab to the left of the video screen. The Advanced Configuration screen came up so I could configure the camera for my wireless LAN. I kept the top items set to the defaults and concentrated on the lower half, starting with the WLAN configuration.
I set my service set identifier (SSID) to the same as my router.
I left the wireless mode set to 'infrastructure.' The channel default was 6, the same as the rest of my components.
Now came the tricky part. Because I wasn't using a D-Link router, I apparently had to set my transmission (TX) rate to 11Mbps. This wasn't clear to me or explained in the instructions. I had to call D-Link Tech Support to sort it out.
I left the Preamble set to "Long," since that was the default.
I ticked the box for "Data Encryption."
I left the Authentication mode on "Auto."
I set the key length to 128 bits.
I kept the "Key Format" at "Hex."
I entered my 26-character key that I used for my router and the rest of my wireless network.
I clicked "Apply" and the camera restarted. When the solid green LED came on, I knew I was ready.
I unplugged the camera from my router, unplugged the camera from the power outlet long enough for it to power down, and then plugged it back into the outlet.
It worked. The camera was able to send video directly to Internet Explorer. If the process had gone smoothly, it would have taken me 15 to 30 minutes, but as always, your experience might vary depending on your equipment and other factors.
Now that the camera was connected, I set it up to email me when it detected motion. It took a little while to get the settings to work correctly. You need to enter your Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) information in the email tab in the camera's setup software. Then you set the motion detection settings by specifying how much motion has to happen before the camera is triggered to send you an email. It's easy to do, but you may need to adjust some settings to get the sensitivity you want.

To see if it worked, I mounted the camera by the front door to see if it would detect someone at the front door. It did. An email arrived as my brother rang the door bell. Clicking on the video link, a real-time video of him at the door came on my screen.

Finally, I put the camera in my son's room and pointed it at his bed. I went back to the living room where my laptop was and connected to the camera through my browser - and he came into view. The camera has audio capabilities, so not only can I see him, I can also hear any sounds he makes.

Online resources
Check out PC CCTV home security at icatcher*
AND you can Install motion detecting security with webcam Watchdog





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Video baby monitor with ip capabilities?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment