Sunday, December 23, 2012

How to deaf people take care of a baby?

Q. I have always wondered that. They cant hear the baby cry, or hear its first words... What is it like to be deaf and have a baby????
I'm not asking to be rude!!!

A. As someone stated there are monitors that flash when a baby cries. It flashes when there are any type of loud noise, so if it's a toddler in their room alone and they break something or knock something over, the parents are alerted by a bright strobe flashing.

As to hearing a baby's first words, they don't care. They see their child's first signs. And that happens A LOT sooner than the first words.

For the rest of parenting, it's just like anyone else...a lot of trial and error. They don't need any additional assistance because of their hearing loss.


Baby monitors for HOH parents?
Q. I have profound hearing loss in my right ear, and some loss in my left. Although it doesn't affect my daily life TOO much (sometimes I have to remind my husband not to talk to me from the other room,), I'm a bit worried about it interfering with my ability to hear the baby when she comes.

I've read that Graco makes a vibrating monitor, which would work great, but a majority of the reviews said it stopped working suddenly. Does anybody have any recommendations?

A. We had same problem with Graco, ours stopped vibrating but light still flashes.
We switched to baby cry signaler, really useful!
Go to Harris Communication which sells equipments for Deaf and Hard of Hearing people.
http://www.harriscomm.com/index.php/equipment/signaling-systems/baby-cry.html


temporarily living with meddling in-laws?
Q. Due to financial problems my husband and I, along with our two children, are temporarily staying in my husband's parent's home. We have a 7 month old preemie son and a 2 year old daughter. I had no idea that living with my in-laws would be so stressful. There are times when I will put my 2 year old down for a nap and one of my in-laws will get her out of her bed before she has even fallen asleep. Today was the last straw. I could not get her to lay down for a nap until 4pm...well, she was laying there talking to herself like she always does to fall asleep, then suddenly I hear my father in-law's voice on the baby monitor. I was so mad!!! She had only been laying down for about 30min. She usually is pretty active and takes about 30 min to fall asleep and then she will nap for about 2-3 hours. She was not screaming or crying, just talking to herself. Am I wrong to see this a meddling? Sometimes they will wake her up early from her naps because they think she should wake up. Just because I currently live with my in-laws it doesn't give them the right to interfere with my parenting. If I put her for a time out, they just walk in the room without asking me first and let her out. They are like "oh what are you doing in here? Come on sweetie." Her time out is only 5 min maximum. Then they will say stuff to my husband behind my back about how I don't even try to discipline my daughter. They will try to feed her right while I'm making her breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Then she will not eat what I have made for her. My mother in-law insists on leaving a tray full of potporri with tiny candles on the coffee table. She also expects my two year old not to touch it. Really!? Then she gets mad when one of her candles is missing and says I wasn't watching her. I tell her not to touch it like a million times a day, but sometimes she will swipe something when I am doing something with her brother. My viewpoint is that it shouldn't be sitting out within her reach, because she could choke on the potporri or a piece of the candle. She refuses to move it. I also have a 7 month old preemie with chronic lung disease. My in-laws stay stuff to my husband behind my back about how they think that I neglect the him because my son cries all the time. They can't stand how much he cries. He was born 3 months early due to my water breaking early. He has done very well but he did develop BPD from the oxygen in the NICU. He had two hernias repaired and had GERD. He does cry a lot but his pediatrician has assured me that this is normal for him. He doesn't cry all the time either, fussy just a lot. To me it seems pretty ignorant for my in-laws to assume such things. I love my two babies more than anything in this world. I am a stay at home mom and proud of it. I have tried to talk with my in-laws about butting out, but it seems to fall upon deaf ears. What can I do? I am at my limit. It's just downright rude. I wouldn't do this to someone else. Any advice?
I should also add that we pay monthly to stay in their home. I also contribute to groceries, more than $150 a week in food for everyone (we buy all our baby supplies). Since I stay home with the kids I also help with the cleaning of the home and cooking meals. I am the only one who takes out the trash or does does any dishes. Even if I cook they expect me to clean the kitchen. If my mother in-law cooks she still expects me to clean the kitchen. There are currently 5 adults living in the home.
I should also add that we pay monthly to stay in their home. I also contribute to groceries, more than $150 a week in food for everyone (we buy all our baby supplies). Since I stay home with the kids I also help with the cleaning of the home and cooking meals. I am the only one who takes out the trash or does does any dishes. Even if I cook they expect me to clean the kitchen. If my mother in-law cooks she still expects me to clean the kitchen. There are currently 5 adults living in the home.

A. Sit down and explain that you are working on a schedule, discipline routine, and healthy diet, but that its really hard to make that happen without coordinating. Instead of telling them to stop meddling, set out a schedule to follow and ask them for their help keeping her on it. That way you don't have to tell them off, but they'll also stop interfering.
I would make a little "privacy card" type thing to put on her door, one for nap time and one for time out, so that everybody in the house knows exactly what is going on. Also have set meal times (tell them you're afraid she's going to get in the habit of snacking and want to start on a healthy plan for life) so that they don't randomly feed her throughout the day. It sounds like they're just trying to be involved grandparents, but they're doing it in the worst way possible. Maybe giving them a schedule and a job (like asking Mom-in-Law to help make lunch only) will get you all on track.
That said, you're living with them, likely free of charge. Be ready to put up with some crap, because they are supporting you a LOT right now.
As for your son, take Mom-in-Law to your next appointment and have her talk to the doctor about what SHE can do to help his crying. Either he'll give her something to do, or he'll tell her its normal and she's butt out.


Hubby cant hear the baby cry at night? Help suggestion?
Q. My hubby is good durring the day if i need help but at night he does not wake up to the baby crying. Usualy this isnot a problem but i wanted to get up early to go to the sales tomorow and dont want to drag baby out of bed into the cold to do this. My hubby wont be able to hear him to get up with him. so i have to stay home, any suggestions on solding this problem with him not being able to hear him cry. the monitor is turned all the way up in our bedroom, i dont have a problem hearing him, he is 3 months old and has a good set of lungs, i hear him start to stir and wake up, but hubby cant or wont do this, even when he is crying he cant or wont hear him....HELP please

A. There are products made for deaf and hard-of-hearing parents that are baby monitors with vibration or flashing lights that go off when the baby cries. I am deaf, although only 17 and of course not yet a parent, but I know many deaf parents who use products like these and they work very well. I use a vibrating alarm clock to wake up, and my brother (he's hearing) is a really heavy sleeper, and the vibrating alarm clock is the only thing that wakes him up!
Here's a website: http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=38_1140_44_1086
you can also look on google for more products.
This might not help for tomorrow morning, but if your hubby is a really heavy sleeper, this would be a good investment for next time you're in a situation like this. Plus, you won't always have to be the one to get out of bed!
Good luck.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How to deaf people take care of a baby?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment