Tuesday, December 18, 2012

What should/should not be bought when it comes to baby items?

Q. From your experience what baby thing and gadgets should be bought and what should be left at the store?
Here is my list:
Nasal Clear nasal aspirator $39.95 at http://www.onestepahead.com has no suction and makes allot of noise. Can�t be returned once opened.
Breastbottle® Nurser $14.95 the bottle is too soft making it hard for the baby to latch on to the nipple. Also it leaks allot.
Evenflo Deluxe Splash with Me tub $19.99. Leaks if filled about half way. The spray hose does not fit any of our faucets.
Rainforest Jumperoo $79.99 +$10 off at Burlington coat factory. Great toy, lots of fun, my baby loves it, but does not play with any of the attached toys. Exchanged for Bouncing Tigger Seat $19.99 just as much fun and loves it just as much. The problem is attaching it to the door.
Diaper Genie II Advanced Disposal System $29.99 +refills $5.99 Stinky and messy. Replaced by a cute garbage can that�s lined with used, clean, plastic grocery bags.
Baby Wipes Warmer $19.99 Well worth it, especially when changing diapers at night.
Fresh Food Feeder (2-Pack) mesh bag $6.99 Great invention. Can�t say anything bad about it.
Please share what you think is worth the buy and what is not. Thank you.
Oh yeas, the diaper warmer does dry up diaper wipes. But by adding a half cup of water into the warmer once the wipes start to dry up helps with that issue.
I still like the mesh bags. I put pieces of apple or carrots and my baby enjoys them. When she is done she just drops the bag and when wants more she makes a clicking sound with her tongue. I don�t think that they eat everything you put in there. She does not like peaches and if I put a peach in there she spits it out and throws the bag away. It�s better than worrying that she might choke on something.

A. I have 2 babies of my own and watch 4 other babies under the age of one since they were 6 weeks old and these are the things I swear by:

-Medela Quick Steam Sterilizing bags
-Fisher Price Papasan Swing
-Boppy
-Fisher Price Kick and Play Vibrations Bouncy Chair
-Any cool looking exersaucer
-Steal the green nasal suction bulbs from the hospital or doctors office they are the best ones, the ones at the stores don't compare- don't feel bad you won't after you get your $5,000 a day hospital bill.
-Dr.Brown's bottles - for the gassy babies
-Costco wipees
-Mylicon
-Summer Infant baby Monitors - if anything happens to them you can send them back and they will send you the newest monitor they have even if it is more expensive. I reccomend the video montior you can turn the volume down and still make sure baby is okay if you don't want to hear every whine.
-Medela Pump in style if you breastfeed
-Arrowhead Water Service if you don't - The stand comes with hot and cold button half and half don't have to warm bottles up.
-Huggies Diapers - I tried every brand and those are the best!
Not so fond of....

-Bottles warmers waste of money- I used it for a week
-Diaper Genie - used for a month. My husband takes out the trash but always forgets the diaper genie.
-Walkers - something always happens and the exersaucers stay put while still stregthing their leg muscles
-I used the wipee warmer for about six months with my daughter and about 3 months with my son they both seemed fine the minute I used a cold one on them.


can someone recommend a baby monitor that actually works for more than 3 months?
Q. well. first - happy valentines day to YOU!

now...I spent forty dollaz on my baby monitor only a few months ago and it just broke today. who has one that works well and one that has worked for a long time? I have gotten TWO different kinds and both broke. one was a first years one, which sucked anyways ... this one was a sony babycall and it worked fine until yesterday and it wouldn't turn off...now it won't turn on.

who has actually had luck with such a thing? and am I the only one that buys stuff all the time and it breaks? you'd think the law of averages would be working in my favor but that's not the case... any recommendations? preferably ones that are not online because I've got to stop and get one later on today...when the baby wakes up from his nap...which I will never know anyways because the baby monitor broke.

thanks for letting me whine.

PQ: do your kids wake up happy or grumpy?
biscuits - true, but I couldn't find any that weren't video monitors that were much more expensive than $40. maybe I'll try a video monitor though. thanks for the tip!
lil ol me - I've gone through those two in the last 6 months, not over the course of his lifetime. I like having a monitor because it makes me feel more comfortable, especially since we have 3 floors.

A. $40 sounds kinda cheap. Rather than you being unlucky, it might be a "you get what you pay for" type of scenario.

I like the video monitor ones. We got this one at Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11605669&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC%7C1892%7C88187&N=4041586&Mo=29&No=18&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4803&Ns=P_Price%7C1%7C%7CP_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C

It's $150, so obviously not cheap, but if it ever breaks within 3 years or so, we can just take it back. Gotta love Costco.

He generally wakes up happy, but he has his grumpy moments.


Gonna try to concieve in April- any things I should be doing NOW?
Q. My husband comes home from the desert in April and I was wondering if there were any things i could be doing bnow to increase my fertility for then? Also, things I could be doing to ensure a healthy pregnancy/healthy baby.
Or if it is too early to do stuff now, when should I start doing stuff?

A. Hi there,

I'm so excited for you that you're planning for a baby!!! Here are my suggestions, based on the 3 babies I've delivered:

I would make an appointment with your physician and tell him/her you are planning on getting pregnant. S/he can get you a prenatal vitamin and advise you of anything else you might need based on your body/medical history.

I also HIGHLY recommend calling the hospital where you will deliver and asking to talk to their lactation consultant. Breastmilk is best for babies, and she can guide you through the process so you have everything in place BEFORE you deliver. Read books, join a breastfeeding support group (you can when you're pregnant) watch other women breastfeed......all things to get you more educated and comfortable with the process.....so you are more likely to be a successful breastfeeder when baby is born.

Get regular exercise.

If you want to get pregnant ASAP after your hubby gets home I would buy a ClearblueEasy fertility monitor. You can get one new at Costco for $166 or buy it used on ebay. They are totally awesome for getting pregnant right away!!!

The monitor tells you when you are fertile so you know exactly what days you need to have sex! It is super easy to use....after using it for the first month of your menstrual cycle it remembers what your cycle is like (it's actually a little computer) and then based on the readings it gets from the stick you pee on... it will tell you exactly the day you ovulate, and the day or so before and after ovulation that you are fertile and can become pregnant. The first month you pee on a lot of sticks (so it can figure out when you ovulate) but then after that, you only pee on about 10 sticks per month.

I got pregnant 4 times using it (twice the first month of trying) and my friend got pregnant 3 times with it (also twice on the first cycle). She and I mailed it back and forth to each other between pregnancies so the other could get pregnant....it worked like a charm for both of us! Expensive, but totally worth every penny in my opinion! (or you can just go the old fashioned way and have sex every day.....that'll do the trick too!) ;-)

If your husband is serving in the military, thank you both for the sacrafice you are making to protect our country. You're in my prayers for a safe home-coming.

Happy baby-making!


can anyone give me a list of what i need for a newborn?
Q. i know i need
carseat.
diapers.
bottles.
bathtub.
clothes.
formula.
baby food.
what else do i need i think i must have missed somthing
im just found out im 28 weeks preg onley 20yrs.
and dont have anyone to ask for advice
the father ran away 6mths ago.
please any advice
u can email me at Leilani77peru@yahoo.com

A. You actually "NEED" very few things but here's some other very common things that most people have:

wipes (we like Kirkland {Costco} brand
crib
changing table
dresser (our baby dresser doubles as changing table)
diaper pail (Diaper Genie~only really good until they start solids)
clothes hamper
Dreft (infant laundry detergent)
swing (I like the Graco open top)
bouncer (I like Fisher Price Ocean Wonders)
mobile (ours is by Sassy, definitely get the one with remote)
sleepers
baby nail clippers
diaper rash ointment (A&D)
bottle of Febreze (some of the diapers STINK!)
board books
classical CDs to play in baby's room
toy box
mini hamper to carry tos from room to room
tummy time mat
boppy pillow
baby wash (I like the milk bath lavendar)
baby lotion
hooded towel
2 crib sheets and waterprood crib pads
swaddling blankets
car seat cover (I love ours by Kiddapotomus)
baby monitor (get one with 2 channels so you don't get interference)
stroller





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What should/should not be bought when it comes to baby items?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment