Monday, July 15, 2013

At what age should a newborn begin sleeping in the nursery?

best baby monitor sids
 on Prevent SIDS With Miriams Choice Of Best Baby Monitors
best baby monitor sids image



bill


My daughter is 8 days old and has been sleeping in a bassinet beside our bed. How long should she sleep in the bassinet in the master bedroom before she can begin to sleep in the nursery? In case it matters, the nursery is across the hall from the master bedroom on the second floor of my house and we have baby monitoring video/audio equipment and we have the pads that prevent her from rolling over onto her stomach.


Answer
The people who are answering (so far) are giving you their opinions. But the AAP safe sleep guidelines (SIDS prevention) recommend that a baby be in the parents' room for 6 months or more. This is so that she can monitor your (more mature) sleep patterns. It as nothing to do with 'safety equipment" which can not substitute for a parents' presence.

What did you do or what are you currently doing?




Christi


Did you/do you use a baby monitor with the baby in the other room at night...or did/does your baby sleep in your room?

Do you think any either of those are a bad choice?



Answer
My son slept in our room with us until he was reliably sleeping through the night. After that we moved him into his own room across the hall. I wanted to keep him as close to me as possible when he was waking up often at night so that I wouldn't have to walk as far to get him and put him back to bed. Lazy, I know, but practical. He slept in his bassinet at the foot of my bed, which meant I didn't even have to get out of bed to tend to him. I just don't see any joy in getting out of bed, walking around the house, getting baby, putting baby back, and walking back to bed when you have to do it several times a night.

We moved him into his own room across the hall, left both doors open, and I made certain the baby monitor was positioned close to my head so that I would hear him. I don't know what I was thinking, but we didn't need the baby monitor at all. I mean, he was only 20-30 feet away with both doors open. When he cried, I heard him. Even in our larger home now, I can hear him cry across the house with both of our bedroom doors shut.

No, I don't think either choices are inherently bad. I do think that co-sleeping, done properly, is the safest option for a newborn since it prevents SIDS. It also helps babies sleep better.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: At what age should a newborn begin sleeping in the nursery?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment