Wednesday, July 17, 2013

What did you do or what are you currently doing?

best baby monitor to prevent sids
 on angelcare baby monitor prevent sids 00 30 angelcare baby monitor http ...
best baby monitor to prevent sids image



Christi


Did you/do you use a baby monitor with the baby in the other room at night...or did/does your baby sleep in your room?

Do you think any either of those are a bad choice?



Answer
My son slept in our room with us until he was reliably sleeping through the night. After that we moved him into his own room across the hall. I wanted to keep him as close to me as possible when he was waking up often at night so that I wouldn't have to walk as far to get him and put him back to bed. Lazy, I know, but practical. He slept in his bassinet at the foot of my bed, which meant I didn't even have to get out of bed to tend to him. I just don't see any joy in getting out of bed, walking around the house, getting baby, putting baby back, and walking back to bed when you have to do it several times a night.

We moved him into his own room across the hall, left both doors open, and I made certain the baby monitor was positioned close to my head so that I would hear him. I don't know what I was thinking, but we didn't need the baby monitor at all. I mean, he was only 20-30 feet away with both doors open. When he cried, I heard him. Even in our larger home now, I can hear him cry across the house with both of our bedroom doors shut.

No, I don't think either choices are inherently bad. I do think that co-sleeping, done properly, is the safest option for a newborn since it prevents SIDS. It also helps babies sleep better.

How do you lay down a baby when he begins to learn how to roll?




Summer I


To prevent him from rolling onto his stomach?
Yeah; I'm asking to prevent SIDS. Also, I do have one of those SecureSleepers...the cushion w/ raised sides. But he's already out growing it.
Also, he's only 3 weeks old and he's already showing signs that he will be rolling soon.



Answer
As others have said, if he rolls on his own, let him. If you are still worried, be sure that he is no longer sleeping in a bassinet and that if he rolls to the side of the bed that there is no heavy material that may be suffocating. Crib bumpers look cute and are supposed to help keep babies from getting stuck in the bars, but they have been known to be a factor in crib death also. a playpen is handy when baby is first beginning to roll because the sides are mesh and allow free airflow if he ends up laying with his face against the side. While rolling does often mean baby should awake if he isn't getting enough oxygen, it is not always true. Often the lack of oxygen causes them to sleep more deeply and therefore, they do not wake and adjust as they should. 2 of my 4 were in SIDS monitors for almost the whole 1st year so I understand your apprehension. If you ever need any reassurance that what you are doing is correct, contact your local SIDS office or got to this web site: http://www.sids.org/
Here they have a link at the top that will help you find other resources and you may be able to find a center in your area. Good luck with your little one!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What did you do or what are you currently doing?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment