Friday, January 4, 2013

Do you think corded phones are better than cordless phones?

Q. Silly question but I was just wondering what you thought. Cordless phones are annoying. They have horrible quality, receive interference from just about any other device sharing the same network. Plus they need power to operate, so they are useless in a power outage. And there also in some ways a security breach. You can easily listen into a conversation with a baby monitor. And to top it off they lack most features that corded phones offer. So what's your opinion?

A. You clearly haven't used a modern cordless phone. A good digital cordless phone is unlikely to see any interference with much of anything, the link quality is indistinguishable from wired, and no, you cannot hear the call with a baby monitor. That's not to say that those things have not historically been problems, just that they're problems largely solved in pretty much all modern gear.

One good idea is to get a cordless phone system that does not collide with a home network or your microwave. Look for a 5.8GHz digital phone or a DECT (runs around 1.9MHz), rather than a 2.4GHz phone, which uses the same ISM radio band as your microwave, 802.11 network, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Bluetooth phone, etc.

With that all said, yeah, I have a few wired phones as well as the cordless. Of course, this may also depend on how you get your phone service... if you're using POTS (plain old telephone system) phones, a corded phone is useful in a blackout. If you're on VoIP, FiOS, DSL, or Cable, there's a strong likelihood your network gear in the house goes down anyway, so the cordless phone is unlikely to be an issue.

I'm very happy with my digital 5.8GHz phones... one wired connection for a base station that supports up to eight handsets (I have four), phone to phone intercom system built-in, great range, enough to cover my house (4200ft^2) and the immediate areas outside (if I want to go for a walk in the woods AND talk on the phone, I'll use my cell).


What are some things I need and some things I need to know about how to care a Savannah Monitor?
Q. Please list everything I need to care for a Savannah Monitor . I have been keeping reptiles for several years but this is going to be my first time keeping a monitor lizard. It is going to be a Savannah Monitor. I haven't got one yet but I am going to get one and I need a care sheet. Please help!!!

A. BASIC INFO:
- water proof solid topped 8 x 4 x 4 enclosure, 4 x 2 x 2 for babies and juvies. The enclosure should be solid wood to hold up heat, humidity and daily use stress. A plexi glass lid can be used. You can also use a feed trough (for cattle) as a base for your enclosure.

- two feet deep of a sand/soil mixture that is slightly damp so your sav can dig. They love to burrow and shouldn't be forbidden to do so.

-130F+ basking SPOT in the cage. Air temps should be 85F hot/ 70F cool.

- Provide multiple hiding spots, stacks of plywood work wonders for this, google "Retes Stacks"

Diet:
Rodents and bugs. That's it. No dog food, meat cuts, canned food, ground meats, innards, fish, monitor diets. You won't need any of that. A healthy monitor can and should be raised on mice, rats,roaches and crickets. Sure, you can use worms, but roaches are just so much more convenient.

Read VARANID'S (now J.H.) answers for LOTS of useful monitor care tips and information, he's Y! resident monitor expert, and a damn good one at that.
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=Arwi305xCKOa7r4S9UkqYw_M7BR.;_ylv=3?show=2CbfO4jWaa

http://savannahmonitor.org/


Does anyone know of a cordless child monitor that keeps up with 4 children?
Q. I need something that I carry so I can hear them at all times. We have a few "friends" that I need to keep a close eye (or ear) on! I guess I'm looking for a base for me. One that I can push a button to talk to all four kids. And four recievers that are always on. If their's are on at all times, they won't have to figure out how to communicate with me; I'll always hear them anyway. Thanks!

A. Ignore the first two posters...

I, am 19 and have 3 older sisters... You need to monitor you're children and a cell isn't going to do it.

I don't know of any monitors that can monitor 4 different channels at once... Fischer Price has many cordless monitors that can monitor 2 at a time, you can check out their website for that, or even go to your local gadgets store and ask there.

I think you are looking for 2 way radios though so that you can talk back. I have no help there other than there are some baby monitors with a talk back botton on the baby's end, that might help. Babys R'us usually can help you with that.

britany


Based on your actual experience, what is the best baby video monitor for sale?
Q. I've heard so many different, mixed reviews. I'm mostly concerned about them not working with our wireless network (which I don't know how to tweak). If anyone has a good one that works well with a wireless network that doesn't cost TONS of money, please pass on the info. Thanks!

A. What do you mean working with wireless network? Most baby monitors are wireless, but they don�t connect to a modem. Do you just mean without a cord or actually hooked up to a computer? I have been using Summer Infant Hand Held Video baby monitor for 6 month now and can�t complain. It sees at night and has color. The monitor is hand held so you can carry it with you where you want to. At first the battery would last 3-4 days now it lasts 2 days, then you have to recharge, but it can be on when charging. I got mine on eBay at half the cost. If you still don�t have your baby and don�t need one ASAP. Start looking for deals. I got ours 2 month before the baby was born but it took me 4 weeks to get the deal I wanted.
I�m also using a wireless connection on my laptop and there is no interference with the monitor, it�s working perfectly fine. Also it does NOT pick up cell phones, radios or other babies.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Do you think corded phones are better than cordless phones?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment