Saturday, January 5, 2013

I'm struggling to find a baby monitor that works in our apartment. We've tried 3 kinds and they don't work.?

Q. We always have terrible feedback and pick up other baby monitors, but never our own. I've heard there is a difference in short and long range monitors. Does anyone know anything about this, and if so, are there any monitors you recommend under $40?

A. There are two problems you may be experiencing. The first is your monitor is too low tech and is getting electrical interference or noise from electronics, power lines etc... The second is your monitor may be too "good" and has a large range, which encompasses other parents with monitors on the same frequencies.

Before you buy any monitor, make sure the store will let you return it if there is interference.

First I would try a good "low tech" monitor like the Fisher Price Surround Sound Lights and Sounds Monitor, $27.99 for 1 Receiver. It uses the 49 MHz band, which not many other things use now and could be the least expensive answer to your troubles.

If that doesn't work for you, skip the 900 MHz monitors and try the 2.45 - 2.54 GHz models, there is almost no difference in cost and a much better chance at clear reception. Models to look for are: The First Years True Choice ($40), Graco I-Vibe, Summer Infant Simply Clear Digital Audio Monitor
($49.99)

If these don't work the next level would be monitors with DECT technology. These are "guaranteed to be interference-free, and most clients who have them have had great luck with them. These usually run $80 and up. But I doubt you will need to go this route.

Hope this helps,

Alan


Sub-woofer is making a horrible noise when no media is playing?
Q. I have never had any problems with this subwoofer before. I recently moved houses and setup my system there. Everything seemed to be working beautifully until I woke up in the middle of the night to horrible feedback coming from the subwoofer. I immediately turned the power off and it stopped. So, I tried to switch the subwoofer to "Auto" mode which kind of puts the speaker in a sleep mode until it is being used. This also did not solve the problem. When music is played on subwoofer, it sounds great, but once it ends, after a while, a feedback "beat" is heard and repeated over and over. Any suggestions? This wasn't happening before the move.

A. Hmmm, it could be many things... I have a JBL speaker system with a powered sub and I had a similar type of feedback humm, but I discovered it had to do with the auto sleep mode. Oddly enough (like you) this only happened to me after moving into a new home, go figure! So aside from some trial and error with the power save feature of the subwoofer, it's time to dig deeper.

Do you get normal results when you run a test-tone test, if your head unit has this feature? First, if you don't own a second one, see if you can borrow another subwoofer and swap it out temporarily. Try to rule out an issue with the speaker itself, if another sub does the same, you have an issue with your head unit or cabling or power. Are you using a halfway decent power distribution system or power strip, like a monster power strip with good noise filtering? In the new house, where you set up your system, are there any sources of interference nearby like from utilities or appliances or computers? Are you using a good quality cable to conect the sub to the head unit? I realize it worked fine before, but it could be a cabling issue if there's an external electromagnetic interference problem near the new home that didn't exist at the old home, like from nearby communications equipment, alarm systems, wireless networks, cordless phones, baby monitors, wireless CCTV systems, etc.

Or it could be dirty power for these same types of reasons, so be sure to use a good power strip/filter. Expect to spend a few hundred dollars on a good one. Myself, I use the Monster Power HTS 3600. And make sure the outlets where you have everything plugged in is properly grounded. Use a tester or have someone who knows home electrical confirm it for you. Ideally, this will also be a dedicated 15 or 20 amp outlet with nothing else on it like lighting, etc.


How do I fix the buzz on my PS3?
Q. Ever since I got my PS3 in November of last year, it's had a light buzz that annoys the crap out of me. I've put it on three different TVs, and they all share the buzz problem, as well as lines scrolling through the picture. My question is, simply: How do I get my sound and picture working normally?

A. I had this issue as well. It seems to be interference by another electrical device. In my case it was the baby monitor. I found a new plug for that. Does your PS3 share a power outlet with something else? If so, try putting your PS3 on a power bar, or its own outlet.


How do I improve a routour range and speed and it has no attena?
Q. It's a at&t model 2wire

A. Try placing the router in a higher central location, avoid physical obstructions whenever possible, also avoid reflective surfaces whenever possible. Some Wi-Fi signals literally bounce off of windows, mirrors, metal file cabinets and stainless steel countertops, lessening both network range and performance.

Install the router at least 3 feet away from other home appliances such microwave ovens, cordless telephones, baby monitors, and home automation equipment like X-10 devices.

Likewise, install the unit away from other electrical equipment that also generates interference, such as electric fans, motors, and flourescent lighting.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I'm struggling to find a baby monitor that works in our apartment. We've tried 3 kinds and they don't work.?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment