Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Whats the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?

Q. Mine was having a ghost or something punching my back at night when I was a kid. Whats yours?

A. Seeing my baby son lying dead in the incubator of the Special Baby Care Unit whilst the nurses who were supposed to be watching him were sat there chatting - one even had her chair touching the incubator.
He looked as though he'd been rolled in flour, he was so white.
I remember hearing the apnoea monitor going off whilst walking down the long hallway to see him. Thing is, they go off all the time, often for no real reason, so the nurses had obviously gotton complacent because of that. Even I didn't think much of the sound of it other than to notice it, seeing as they went off so often...at least until I saw my son.
Fortunately, my shout alerted them and they quickly got him breathing again. He's still strong and healthy today, years down the line.

That experience, beats hands-down any and all the experiences I've had with non human entities, including the one that physically pushed me out the gates of a church that was closed for having been the place where ritualistic sacrifices of animals had taken place. Even the fear I felt as it followed me up the road away from the church, which was very real fear, of what seemed a very real 'thing', was NOTHING in comparison.


is giving birth like having a giant poop?
Q. My mom says having a baby is hard work and no man understand but I somtimes have really big poops where I get all sweaty and have to grunt really loud to push it out. I saw a woman have a baby on a movie and it is the same type of sweating and grunting. Does my mom just want sypmathy?

A. Let me put it this way. I have a HIGH pain tolerance. In fact, during labor though the monitor showed I was having very hard contractions I hardly felt them. But actually giving birth felt like someone was tearing out my intestines. Movies are "fake". If you want to see what it's really like, ask any dad who viewed it in their babies birth. I bet you never pushed out a poop that was 6-10+ lbs before. Or a head with a cm of 13 or higher. No comparison. Sorry.


when should i register for the baby shower??
Q. my mom and boyfriends mom are throwing the baby shower in the beginning of november. when is a good to time to register? should i start registering now?? and how will i know what to register for. do they give me a list there??

A. You should register ASAP. It will take you awhile to settle on which baby products you want, and there is so much comparison shopping to be done. You will want to read all the reviews online on every single product and make sure it is actually safe.

Don't settle for something based on price or looks. My uncle got my daughter the cutest activity center, but once I read all the reviews online, you couldn't pay me to let me daughter go in that injury machine.

When you go to a store to register, they will give you a book with pictures and prices and such. It is a good place to start. The best thing you can do is go through a typical day with your newborn.

Baby wails on the baby monitor, signaling she is awake. You walk into her room where she is in the crib, with the matress, matress pad, crib sheet, bumpers (if you choose), blanket and/or bag for sleeping in and/or swaddling blanket. Over babies head is a mobile. You pick baby up and place her on the changing table. You grab a diaper out of the hanging diaper storage thing on the wall, take off her sleeper, toss it in the laundry basket, change her diaper, wipe her with wipes, apply powder and cream, put the diaper in your diaper genie, grab a onsie out of the basket on the top shelf of the changing table, dress her in that. Now you carry her to the bathroom, wash her face with a cute little wash cloth... see where I am going? Just go through a typical day and make a list of every single thing baby will need. Don't forget grooming products, bath products, baby motrin, thermometers, etc.

Once you have your big long list, you need to prioritize what goes on the registry and what you will buy. Don't assume putting anything on the registry is stupid. Your great aunt who hasn't had kids in 100 years may have no clue what to get for baby. People appreciate small things being on the list as well as big things. It makes it easier to know what you have, what you need, and what brands you prefer.


How many prenatal appts/ultrasounds?
Q. Moms: How many prenatal appointments did you have throughout your pregnancy? At what weeks?
Also how many ultrasounds and what weeks?
When did you start getting pictures of your ultrasounds?

I recently moved to Korea and I don't feel like I'm getting an adequate amount of appointments or ultrasounds so I'm getting a comparison :) tia.

A. The general appointment schedule for pregnancy is 6-12 weeks to confirm the pregnancy. Most doctors won't schedule an appointment before 8 weeks, because there's not really anything they can do (women who get really early appointments are usually either high risk, or have been trying to get pregnant for a long time). Then one appointment a month until around 34 weeks, then every 2 weeks. The month before your due date every week until you've had your baby (so 12, 16, 20, 24,28,32,34,36,37,38,39,40..probably between 10 and 12 checkups total). Most women who have more check ups than that have a high risk pregnancy. Generally speaking all these checkups include is weight, blood pressure, and listening to the baby's heart, though some clinics take a urine sample at every appointment.

The only "required" ultrasound during pregnancy is at 20 weeks. This is to measure the growth of the fetus, and monitor for any birth defects. Any other ultrasounds are entirely at the discretion of the doctor. I got three. The first was in the ER (I passed out while getting my blood drawn), the second was the choice of my doctor to verify my due date, and the third was at 20 weeks. My insurance only covered ultrasounds requested by the doctor, so I would have had to pay for any additional ones. There have actually been studies that warn against too many ultrasounds.

Ultimately, pregnancy is not a disease. While sufficient prenatal care is good, most women don't need very much intervention. If you are taking your prenatal vitamins, doing your kick counts, and generally speaking taking care of yourself, there's no reason for you to go to the doctor very much. Honestly, with the exception of the baby's heartbeat, I would have rather taken my BP and weight in the comfort of my own home, as sitting in the waiting room forever was never that much fun. For this reason, and the obvious risk to the baby, I hope I never have a high risk pregnancy.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Whats the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment