Friday, January 4, 2013

How much do we need to monitor radiation in our home?

Q. Ever since we had our daughter, my husband is obsessed with eliminating any sources of radiation in our house. He wants to turn off our wireless router, stop using cell phones, and stop using the video baby monitor in the nursery because he has read that all of these things give out harmful amounts of radiation, especially impacting the development of children's brains.
Is there any validity to his concerns? Or is he just being an overprotective parent?

A. he,s a little overboard, and misdirected. you get much more radiation on a long distance plane flight than you do from those sources. living in high elevations is a greater risk than living downwind from a nuclear power plant. you get more radioactivity from living downwind of a coal fired power plant.


listen to other cell phone conversations with a device?
Q. how is it possible to pick up cell phone conversations with a device, or a baby monitor.

A. Only analog cell phone conversations can be intercepted with a scanner. And almost no one has analog phones anymore. The newer CDMA or GSM phones use digital encoding techniques that prevent the casual listener from intercepting the conversations.

Baby monitors will NEVER overhear cell-phone conversations. Baby monitors operate at 900MHz or 2.4GHz; cell phones do NOT operate in those frequencies. However, home cordless phones DO operate in those frequencies, and these are the conversations that are often overheard by baby monitors. Newer cordless phones use the same digital encoding used by cell phones, so a new phone won't be overheard by a baby monitor.


Is it possible for a phone with a cord to pick up other phone conversations?
Q. I know it sounds odd, but I just picked up the phone a second ago to call my friend. There was no dial tone, but I heard another conversation on the other end. I know baby monitors can pick up cell phone conversations, but can a land line? And I get it, this is weird, but thanks if you can answer or have an opinion. xD

A. cross talk happens all the time.

if the other caller "over drives" the call by screaming into the phone or if the line is flooded with water, you can get cross talk.


Is there any way to prevent my cell phone conversations from being picked up on the baby monitor?
Q. Sometimes people call me at night and my conversations get picked up by the baby monitor in my parents room. Is there any way to keep this from happening? I'd rather not them hear some of the stuff me and my friends talk about. They keep the monitor on all night and I can't turn it off.

A. Is it cell or just cordless. A baby monitor shouldn't pick up a cell phone. In either case you can get a digital cell phone or a digital cordless phone. The baby monitor may pick up the signal, but it won't be able to decode the digital signal and no one will be able to understand a word you say.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How much do we need to monitor radiation in our home?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment