Saturday, January 12, 2013

What type of birth control would you suggest?

Q. Our son is 11 weeks old. We want to have kids pretty close together, but obviously not THIS soon. We don't plan on trying again until the first can at least walk.

Anything with hormones is out; we had a hard enough time conceiving the first time without adding the factor of coming off hormones when starting to try for the second.

Condoms were our first obvious choice, and we'll keep using them if we don't find an alternative, but we both really dislike using them to the point of often rather not having penetrative sex than using them. So we'd REALLY like an alternative.

I have painful periods as it is, so I'm very hesitant about using the copper IUD. The Mirena IUD is what I had most of our marriage and I don't want even that tiny amount of hormones in my body any more.

I can't breastfeed, so LAM is out too.

I'm open to natural family planning methods, but should probably say that I was pretty irregular before I got pregnant. Can't say yet what my cycles are like now. I do have some experience charing BBT. But of course we all know that the discipline needed for that (taking temperature every morning absolutely first thing at the same time after a decent amount of sleep) isn't that feasible with a new baby to take care of.

So am I missing an option?
Wow, Mischa Smythe, I'm so sorry you're having such a bad day/year/life that you feel the need to respond this way.

It's a simple question about birth control options, no drama here. And if it is a 'first world problem': so what? I live in a day and age when I can have sex with my husband without uncontrollably popping out more kids than my body or our finances can handle, and that's a good thing.

A. Natural Family Planning methods are still usable with irregular cycles, and even with irregular sleep. You may just need to find a different method that will work for your situation. You might look into Creighton or Billings, which are both mucous-only methods - no need to take your temperature. Another popular option, particularly for the postpartum phase, is the Marquette method, which uses a monitor and ovulation test strips. That is a little more expensive as you need to buy the monitor and strips, but it takes a lot of the guess work out.

Personally, I've been using the Sympto-Thermal Method (STM) for 8 years, with 3 kids. I've also made use of LAM after each kid. I just recently starting charting again as my youngest is 10 months. I take my temperature whenever I wake up in the morning, before getting out of bed to go get the baby. Usually that is somewhere around 7am - 8am, and that is consistent enough for me to get reliable readings. I also record the time I took my temperature so I will know if one is off due to the time. If one or two temps are wacky because I woke up much earlier or later, I can just disregard those and usually still have enough info for the chart to make sense. I also do daily mucus and cervix observations. This has worked well for me, in spite of irregular cycles (before kids, my cycles could be anywhere from 4 weeks to 4 MONTHS). My kids are 2 and 1/2 years apart. The first was not entirely planned, but we took a chance when we knew I might be fertile, accepting the risk, and were thrilled when we found out I was pregnant. The second and third were both completed planned.


How can I get rid of of rash?
Q. On my babies arm, leg, and tummy. They are small patches of dry skin.

A. a little pricey, but aquaphor in the tub/jar works wonders, esp if sensitive skin is also a problem. a great, inexpensive alternative is just plain ol' petroleum jelly. apply it while the skin is still damp, or swab the skin with a damp rag first.
the problem with dry skin & babies/toddlers is that the skin has a hard time holding & maintaining moisture, so you have to provide the means sometimes. best for me is to apply immedialtely after bath & cover affected areas (sleeves, pajamas rather than exposed) to "seal" the moisture in.
if you dont maintain/monitor this, it can very easily develop into an ongoing problem such as eczema.
good luck.


What do you think would happen if a woman had to look her fetus in the face and tell it to die for an abortion?
Q. What would happen if the abortion law was changed so that before a woman could get an abortion, she had to have an ultrasound and see her baby, and she would be required to personally look at the monitor and tell the baby to die, in front of witnesses.

How many women could actually do that?
Alan, how painful do you think it is to be aborted by your own mother?

Who are you to talk about pain?
Mr. Magoo, obviously you have never actually seen an ultrasound of a fetus.

FAIL

A. Outlawing abortion would not reduce it. I remember how things were before Roe v Wade, with young girls seeking only each other's counsel; drinking enough poison to be lucky to live through it (some didn�t); using coat hangers (some did irreparable harm and some bled to death); and using back alley butchers (many died, more were permanently sterilized). I saw it up close and personal with my teenage friends. Had you seen it, you would never, ever want to return to those horrible times. Those abortions were never counted in any statistics.

Today it is far better because women can get not only quality medical care, but quality counseling.

The US ranks 30th in the world for percent of known pregnancies ending in legal abortions. Greenland ranks #1.
http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/wrjp334pd.html

This 2010 poll found 55% of Republicans backed abortion rights.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/05/13/94131/abortion-a-personal-issue-in-california.html

If Republicans are so against abortion, why did the red state of South Dakota vote to keep abortions legal? http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/vote2006/SD/2006-11-08-abortion-ban_x.htm

Low Income Women Can't Get Abortions, but RNC Staffers Can
http://womensrights.change.org/blog/view/low_income_women_cant_get_abortions_but_rnc_staffers_can

60% of all abortions are performed on white women.

1 in 3 women worldwide is raped during her lifetime.

52% of abortions occur before the 9th week of pregnancy
Only 1% of abortions happen after the 20th week of pregnancy

Who is getting abortions by religion?
Protestants = 37.4% of all abortions in the U.S.
Catholics = 31.3%
Women with no religious affiliation = 23.7
Born Again/Evangelicals = 18%
Jews = 1.3%

Who is getting abortions by income?
Family incomes less than $15,000 = 28.7% of all abortions
Family incomes between $15,000 and $29,999 = 19.5%
Family incomes between $30,000 and $59,999 = 38.0%
Family incomes over $60,000 = 13.8%

http://www.abortionno.org/Resources/fastfacts.html

Our society should support policies that dramatically reduce the abortion rate by preventing unwanted pregnancies, and providing meaningful alternatives and necessary supports for women and children while continuing to provide quality medical care for women.

Any society that claims to be free will not participate in the subjugation of women. Women's sovereignty over their own bodies and reproductive power, and their right to privacy is non-negotiable. To pretend otherwise is to deny freedom, peace and justice to half our population.

##


Humidifier for babies with phlegm or stuffy nose?
Q. My 2 month old sometimes has difficulty sleeping because of phlegm or stuffy nose. How does the humidifier work? Is it really useful?
His nose is allergic to cold temperature.

A. A humidifier puts moisture in the air thus helping to keep the nasal passages moist and more comfortable. The moisture allows the mucus to drain as mucus instead of drying up into "buggers" and sticking to the passages and blocking air and catching more mucus. Sometimes humidifiers are more effective than others. It really depends on the cause of the congestion. If you are unsure, there is a lot of it, or it is not clear, call your Dr. You also have to figure babies spend most of there time on their backs so everything is going to run back into their little sinuses and throats. If the congestion is bad, try some safe and carefully monitored alternative sleep positions- upright on your chest, on their side, laying propped as in a carrier, etc.

Oh! Use only a COOL mist humidifier as warm mist ones have been linked to fungal growth, burns, and respitory infections. Place the humidifier close to baby, but far enough away that the mist is not directly clouding over the baby or getting the bedding or child damp.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What type of birth control would you suggest?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment