Thursday, January 10, 2013

Ultrasounds--the basics of what happens...?

Q. I'm writing a flash fiction piece (about 1000 words or less) for my class, and I wanted to use a story my mom has told me about her miscarriage before she had me. The story is about her going in for an ultrasound, and they found out the baby had died and it was too far along so she had to give birth to the baby... I don't want to ask her about more details, so I've been looking things up on the internet. I've never had an ultrasound and there are some things I wanted to know from people who have had one or just know a bit about that sort of thing.

On the monitor where it shows the baby, does the monitor show your heart beat AND the baby's heartbeat?

Do you lie on a table covered in paper and have your feet in the stirrups like when you have a regular exam?

I think I had more questions but that's all I have right now...I just want to get the details of my fiction piece right, and I've never been pregnant and since I'm only 21 I don't have any close friends that have gotten pregnant yet either.
Thanks so much for your answers! I've only heard my mom tell the full story probably once. She looked at the nurse and said "thats where the babys heartbeat should be, isn't it." and my mom had to give birth to the baby boy. Then my mom went in two weeks later for a checkup, had to walk past the nursery where all the newborns were, the nurse in the room was dumb enough to NOT look at the chart so she asked my mom what she was in for and so my mom explained the still born, she began to cry, and when the male doctor came in and saw her crying he actually said "oh. you're not over that yet?" Seriously.

A. For an untrasound you lie on the bed with your belly exposed - you just pull your trousers or whatever down a bit and your top up. They tuck paper into your waist band to protect your clothes.

They put a gel on your belly. The kinder sonographers warm it up first, the sadistic ones leave it freezing.

They move the wand over your belly and are just looking at where the baby is. You have to have a full bladder to push the baby up so they can see it clearly. When they press the wand down it puts pressure on the bladder and makes you want to pee. However, in latter scans a full bladder isn't so necessary as the baby is bigger and easier to see.

If you are talking about a pregnancy so far along its a still birth then the baby would be seen but no movement and no hearbeat.

The first scan is usually around 12 weeks so no, you don't have your feet up. This only happens if you need an early scan where they have to insert a want into the vagina and these are only done if they feel there may be a problem.


i lost my baby at 33 weeks pregnant due to placenta abruption, now pregnant again will i be put in bed rest?
Q. at 33 weeks pregnant, i had my placenta completely detach from wall and i started hemorraging. ended up having an emergency c-section, lost my baby boy and almost died myself. now 5 months later i'm pregnant again. i'm nervous, i know the chances of it happening again are 10 percent, however will i be considered high risk, or put on bed rest early on? i am now about 6 weeks pregnant. with my last pregnancy i was working 40 hrs. a week and blood pressure was borderline high. seemingly healthy pregnancy up until. i do have one son 4 1/2 yrs. old and my pregnancy with him was healthy, but i was on bedrest with him at end due to blood pressure. just nervous and scared.....
i did have blood clotting with the abruption, i am a cook and was in a fast paced environment and hot kitchen 40 hrs. a week with the last trimester july-august in a hot kitchen. but no major falls or accidents to cause it. the abruption came fast, with lots of bleeding my baby had died within 25 mins. of being in the hospital and had to deliver still born.

A. I had a placental abruption at 27 weeks with my first. She only lived 8 days. So I know what you are going through. I am 34 weeks pregnant with our second and am being watched close. I have seen two Perinatologists before I became pregnant, as my husband and I wanted answers for the abruption. I am the third consecutive generation abruption in my family. In the hospital they ran clotting tests and all they found was a compound heterozygous gene mutation of the MTHFR gene. Were you ever tested for clotting disorders? If not, you should be. I was told by the perinatologists, that you have up to a 20% chance of an abruption happening again. They also tend to happen earlier then the first. Keep that in mind. Bed rest will not stop an abruption. If a clot is going to form and push the placenta off, then being off your feet or on is not going to make a difference. I am on Lovenox (blood thinner) to thin my blood to prevent another clot on my side, baby aspirin to prevent a clot on her side, extra b vitamins and normal prenatals. I have non stress tests twice a week since 26 weeks to monitor the baby, and I received sterioid shots at 26 weeks to mature her lungs. With my first, I had a partial abruption and I lost 1000 ml of blood. Even with all of this my daughters cord oxygen level was at 100%, so feel better knowing that if it happens again...it doesnt mean you will lose your baby. I would really reccomend talking to your OB about low dose lovenox or heparin. My OB gave me the baby aspirin and the lovenox because they cannot hurt anything, and they help me sleep better knowing. Old research shows MTHFR being a problem with clotting, but new research says it is not. My OB seems to think my family has some genetic thing that has not been discovered yet.

Bottom line, be your own advocate and do research. I would be terrified to go through another pregnancy with no meds after an abruption.
marlaynamcbride@gmail.com
Best wishes with this pregnancy, and feel free to email me if you have any questions. :)


External Cephalic Version???
Q. It's when a breech baby is turned by doctor pressing on the outside of the stomach. Does it hurt? I don't have to have it done I was just wondering if it hurts and has anyone had this done?

A. Hi,

I've had it done. My son was footling-breech (would come out feet first, automatic C/S).

My midwives got me into an early (34ish) vs normal (36ish) ECV trial, and I was put into the 'normal' category.

It hurt. But some women say it doesn't. Despite the pain, if I find myself with a breech baby next time (if there is a next), I'll try the ECV again.

Now, some things to know. At 36 weeks it is only around 60% effective, this with a sample size of around 1000 women I think it was in the trial study. See http://www.utoronto.ca/miru/eecv2 for more info on the study, should be links to the eecv1 trial. It is NOT something to be done lightly. There are major risks - mainly it can begin contractions, and the placenta can tear. You need to have it done not in an OB's office, but in the hospital.

Before they did mine, I was prepped for a C section, and we were right across the hall from the OR. They told me they could have the baby out of me in two minutes if needed. I had an IV drip going, was in hospital garb, blood pressure and blood O2 monitor, contractions monitored, they checked the baby for position and distress throughout, located the placenta. Two doctors were involved (actively) and others observed. One protected the placenta by pushing down where it was so the baby's arm or leg wouldn't drag across it. He tried to 'tuck and roll' the baby, while the other OB pushed just above my pubic bone to lift the baby out of my pelvis. I had a spray of nitro under my tongue to help relax my uterus. They tried three times - twice they stopped because it wasn't working, once I stopped because it felt like they were trying to birth the baby via my lungs. So, it didn't work, and I wound up having a C section in the end.


Sonogram showed Fibroid, should I be concerned?
Q. Ultrasound showed fibroid. Dr didn't seemed concerned about it, however, I'm worried about. What is a fibroid, should I be concerned about it. I'm 30 1/2 weeks pregnant, will it cause any problems to the baby? Also, the dr just said that she was going to monitor me every 2 weeks now. She said she was going to start giving me a non-stress test and ultrasound every two weeks. (I'm 35 and high-risk). She said she wants to monitor my fluid levels and check to make sure my placenta is not wearing down. What does that mean? Is that a normal procedure? She didn't seem too concerned, however, she did say I would not make it to may due date. She said that she will check the next time I come in to see if I have started dilating. Please let me know if this is normal or should I be worried. Thanks.

A. I worked for an infertillity doctor and we saw fibroids a lot. Fibroids are tumors usually most fibroids are NON cancerous. only 1 in 1000 are cancerous. There is no real reason why we get them but woman who are between the ages of 30 to 40 and usually shrink after menopause. Sometimes they can be left alone if they are not in weird positions and sometimes they are surgically removed. They wont hurt the baby.

As for your placenta "wearing down" sometimes during pregnacies with women between the ages of 30+ the placenta sometimes comes unattached to the uterine wall which isnt good. Its not uncommon and seeing as how your ob/gyn wants to monitor you very closely assures that you are in good hands. Your baby is past 27weeks which means if you do deliver now your baby can grow up as healthy at a full 40 wk term baby.

Most babies are never actually delivered on their EDD. my first was at 36wks and this one is more than likely going to be 37 weeks...

other than that relax i know its hard but try to stay off your feet as much the more you rest the less stress you put on baby. hope that helped some





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Ultrasounds--the basics of what happens...?
Rating: 96% based on 987 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment